[comp.sys.atari.st] STacy, Portfolio, and CD ROM....

chuck@UMBC1.UMBC.EDU ("Chuck Rickard; ", PC) (07/06/89)

DOes anyone have any idea when the STacy and the Portfolio are due to be
released?  And what about the CD ROM?  I thought that was supposed to be
available to dealers by now...

                               Chuck Rickard
                               UMBC Academic Computing
                               CHUCK@UMBC

powers@cim1ni.dec.com (Lost in a world that is out of control) (07/07/89)

>From: chuck@UMBC1.UMBC.EDU ("Chuck Rickard; ", PC)
>Subject: STacy, Portfolio, and CD ROM....
>
>DOes anyone have any idea when the STacy and the Portfolio are due to be
>released?  And what about the CD ROM?  I thought that was supposed to be
>available to dealers by now...
>
>                               Chuck Rickard
>                               UMBC Academic Computing
>                               CHUCK@UMBC

     You don't really think that any of those products are ever going
to see the light of day do you?  Atari has not changed a bit on preannouncing
vopor stuff, they just keep trying to tell us they have.
     Atari, if your listening prove me wrong, and get these products out,
as well as TOS 1.4.  I would love to be proved wrong.  8-)

Bill Powers

#include disclaimer.h
/*******************************************************************************
* If you had a VAXstation like me, you would be able to see the incredible 3d  *
* graphics I've inserted at this point, but you don't, so you can't!!!         *
*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* all flames to NL: or /dev/null since I use VMS on my VAXstation, and Minix   *
* on my micro.                                                                 *
*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* The opinions expressed herein are mine, and mine alone, but they can be made *
* yours if you send $19.95 plus $2.50 S&H to POWERS%DEVCIM.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM  *
*******************************************************************************/

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (07/07/89)

On the same general subject, I'd be interested to hear from the first net
person to see an ST or Mega in normal dealer channels with TOS 1.4 as
original equipment.  I'll include dealers, but developers who get the
machines direct from Atari (and Atari people who get first look at ALL
the goodies) don't count.
                                 Steve J.

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (07/07/89)

From article <8907061355.AA15967@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by chuck@UMBC1.UMBC.EDU ("Chuck Rickard; ", PC):
> DOes anyone have any idea when the STacy and the Portfolio are due to be
> released?  And what about the CD ROM?  I thought that was supposed to be
> available to dealers by now...
>
>                                Chuck Rickard
>                                UMBC Academic Computing
>                                CHUCK@UMBC

Don't hold your breath.  Where Atari is concerned, the only way
to avoid apoplexy is never to expect to see anything until you
really see it.  And people in different countries should never
expect to see a product merely because Atari USA or subsidiaries
in other countries have released something.

Atari UK sat on the Epson emulator for the SLM804 laser printer
for months, and even then released a package which contained a
First Word Plus configuration file which didn't match the current
UK version of the program (I suspect it matches whatever version
was current in Germany at around September 1988: the .HEX file it
was created from is a modified version of a German file to set up
a Star SR-15 printer.) Ultrascript has not yet been released in
the UK, despite Atari UK's attempts to persuade us that it's
serious about business and education markets.

It's a shame that Atari marketing people let down the excellent
work being done by people like Allan & Ken.  I know it's not
their fault that we're unlikely to get TOS 1.4 ROMS fitted into
our old STs before 1990.

Graham

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

ralph@nastassia.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (07/18/89)

In article <8907061738.AA26819@decwrl.dec.com> powers@cim1ni.dec.com (Lost in a world that is out of control) writes:
|       Atari, if your listening prove me wrong, and get these products out,
|  as well as TOS 1.4.  I would love to be proved wrong.  8-)

Well, here goes.  One of our local Atari dealers has an Atari CD ROM
in stock.  It was around 4000 FF ~= 600 $US.  I saw it in the
showcase!  But then again I'm not in good ol' USA.

Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try:
SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams.   --   King Crimson