[comp.sys.atari.st] Whats the point?

themod@blake.acs.washington.edu (Chris Hinton) (07/11/89)

  Ok, I think this subject is getting really old.  The year 2000 is 11 years
away for Christ's sake!  Really, how many of you are using software today
that you were using 11 years ago?  Or, even better, how many of you are
still using the same COMPUTER that you used 11 years ago?
  Get real, people!

Chris Hinton ---- themod@blake.acs.washington.edu
Mod Software Systems
Seattle, Wa  98195

"Why didn't you tell me he had one of those... things?" - The Joker.
"My life is really...complex." - Bruce Wayne.
"Excuse me...  What does God need with a starship?" - James T. Kirk.

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/19/89)

In article <2737@blake.acs.washington.edu> themod@blake.acs.washington.edu (Chris Hinton) writes:
>  Ok, I think this subject is getting really old.  The year 2000 is 11 years
>away for Christ's sake!  Really, how many of you are using software today
>that you were using 11 years ago?  Or, even better, how many of you are
>still using the same COMPUTER that you used 11 years ago?
>  Get real, people!

TOPS-10 is a system that was created in 1966 and ran out of bits to store
the date in 1975.  DEC had to do a big programming effort to expand the date
field in all directories.  I have a program that prints calenders that was
writting in 1967 and runs, unmodified, today.  No, I am not running on the
same piece of hardware; several new CPUs came out that all faster than
their predecessor yet compatible enough that old programs still run.

You can find even more examples in the IBM mainframe world.

Experience has shown that writing programs that self-destruct in 11 years
is extremely shortsighted.  This IS reality.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms