[comp.sys.atari.st] Sony DS problems

clay@dvinci.USask.CA (Clay Cederstrand) (07/16/89)

I recently acquired a Sony 3.5 inch double sided drive , that I have added
on to my 520 STFM. The connecting cable I made using the pinouts given in
the back of the Atari manual for the external drive. The drive works to a
certain extent, I cannot format it using the built in TOS formatter at all,
I can however format a disk using DCformat. With a DCformatted disk I can
write to the disk, but not consistently, write errors will crop up. The drive
works perfectly on two other computers I have kicking around, these are non
atari computers though, but the drive does work flawlessly on them.

Has anyone out there used a Sony MP-F63W-33D drive as a external drive and
had good results ? I would appreciate any info anyone has about this problem.
I know that other people have attempted to add on external drives and had
varying results, any suggestions as to a drive that will work ?

I am somewhat perplexed as to why is doesn't work, the drive is about as
standard as you can get. Incidently it will not work at all replacing the
internal drive, and as a externally connected drive can read any disk
I currently have.

Thanks

Clay Cederstrand (technician at large..or is that large tech..I can never)
                 (seem to remember which ????????????????????????????????)

chad@norge.dec.com (07/22/89)

Hi

I bought one also and it wouldn't write or format.  My Toshiba one works.
I assumed it was bad and sent it back to the company I bought it from.  They
are sending me another.  It worked for reading but not writing or formatting
in my 520STFM.  Will report when I get the new one.

Chad

joeg@lilink.UUCP (Joe Gelman) (07/22/89)

In article <2078@dvinci.USask.CA> clay@dvinci.UUCP (Clay Cederstrand) writes:
>I recently acquired a Sony 3.5 inch double sided drive , that I have added
>on to my 520 STFM. The connecting cable I made using the pinouts given in
>the back of the Atari manual for the external drive. The drive works to a
>certain extent, I cannot format it using the built in TOS formatter at all,
>I can however format a disk using DCformat. With a DCformatted disk I can
>write to the disk, but not consistently, write errors will crop up. The drive
>works perfectly on two other computers I have kicking around, these are non
>atari computers though, but the drive does work flawlessly on them.
>
>Has anyone out there used a Sony MP-F63W-33D drive as a external drive and
>had good results......

I can't remember the exact model # of the Sony DS drive I installed, but it
had problems very much like yours. It would read previously formatted disks
with no problem, but would not format properly. A check of the disk
revealed CRC errors all over the place.

Too bad, I had picked up the drive REAL CHEAP, and it was very well made
(all metal construction) but I needed a fully functional drive and back it
went. May have been a drive problem OR possibly there's a SONY vs. ATARI
incompatability. Any techies know the answer?

--
PO Box:     rutgers!lilink!joeg               *simple, but will it work?*
LILINK Public Access Xenix  (516) 872-2137/2138/2349 1200/2400 Login: new