[comp.sys.atari.st] : Names for ST's

obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Mark O'Bryan) (06/16/89)

In article <ZMACV91.89Jun14145915@flamingo.doc.ic.ac.uk>, zmacv91@doc.ic.ac.uk (K D Rigotti) writes:

>    Thanks to all those who have replied to my request for names, I have yet to
> receive any *really* interesting ones but most are reasonable - where are the
> Stavros Doppleganger III 's . When I get a decent size batch together I shall
> post those that have been mailed direct to me and those posted here as a

Wonderful, just WONDERFUL!  We CERTAINLY wouldn't want to miss any of those.

> simple list of names ( no blurb ). I'm leaving college for the summer at the
> end of this week so if some kind soul could save any names that pop up over
> the summer and mail them to me in October I should be eternally grateful.

Yes, come hell or high water, SAVE THOSE NAMES!  They're certainly the wheat
among the chaff on THIS newsgroup.

Just in case anyone can't tell, this reply is laden with heavy sarcasm.
If you're really so interested in accumulating a list of names, go to a
store and buy a Baby Name book.  They've got those in the U.K., don't they?
Or drop Jerry Pournelle a line, c/o Byte Magazine.

> |  Kevin Rigotti   | Mistakes are like rhubarb, if you cover them in   |
> |      DOC         | bullshit and put them in the dark they grow twice |
> | Imperial College | as big.                                           |

Ahhh, now I see what you need these names for.  Rhubarb fertilizer.

--
Mark T. O'Bryan                 Internet:  obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University

zmacv91@doc.ic.ac.uk (K D Rigotti) (07/22/89)

> If you're really so interested in accumulating a list of names, go to a
> store and buy a Baby Name book. They've got those in the UK don't they?

Yes we do have them, we also have a more relaxed attitude to silly names.

Seriously though, since one person was irritated enough to post a complaint it
stands to reason that plenty of others must feel the same way. In view of this
I shall MAIL the list to anyone in the UK (I can't do international mail) who
asks me to and only POST it if there seems to be enough interest. Silly names
are very common at IC, we have groups of machines named after the Marx
brothers, Magic Roundabout characters, quark flavours, various birds and
animals and all manner of weird and wonderful things ( I'm typing this on
flamingo ) so asking for ST names was a natural thing for me to do.

Happy now Mark?

Kevin

( who said diplomacy was dead! )

( obryan@gumby
         ^^^^^
         hmm, no comment ... )

|  Kevin Rigotti   | "My way is strewn with cow-pats from the devil's  |
|      DOC         |  own satanic herd."                               |
| Imperial College |              Edmund Blackadder (to Baldrick)      |
| JANET : zmacv91@doc.ic.ac.uk                                         |