[comp.sys.atari.st] GNU EMACS port...

scott@marigold.cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (07/22/89)

Hello.

I have a real quick question...

People have asked about lisp on the ST.... well, if this EMACS
port is a complete port, will thisthis EMACS have the lisp
interpreter?

I hope so.

   Scott D. Yelich                           scott@cs.odu.edu  [128.82.8.1]

caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) (07/23/89)

In article <9571@xanth.cs.odu.edu> scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) writes:
>People have asked about lisp on the ST.... well, if this EMACS
>port is a complete port, will thisthis EMACS have the lisp
>interpreter?

Whether it does or not, you probably don't want to try to use it as a
full-scale lisp.  I've had occasion to work with some fairly substantial
EMACS Lisp code on Suns and it's too slow to be useful for anything of
substantial size, even on a Sun-4...

EMACS Lisp is one hell of a macro language, and it's okay for small
chores, but that's about it.

-Antonio Romero    romero@confidence.princeton.edu