[comp.sys.atari.st] quickst, bigscrn

verwer@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Nico Verwer) (06/15/89)

> the following is Quick ST version 1.2. This version contains bug fixes and
> further enhancements to speed up GEM.

I could uudecode and unarc quickst correctly. I was surprised when I found
that the `enhanced' version is about 28k, wheras the old version was only
6k. Where does the increased size come from?
The old version worked (although I didn't notice any speedup under
first word+), but the new version bombs (2), or gives a `TOS error #35'
message. Has anybody succeeded in getting the new version working?

I was also able to uud, uncompress and unarc BIGSCRN.PRG.
I even got a big screen, but it was rather scrambled (the trash icon
had no subscript) and trying to open a disk icon resulted in a system
crash... (Still I seem to have more luck than some other people 8-).

Ciao!

   /|  /           University of Utrecht, Dept. of Computer Science
  / | /            VOICE: +31-30-533921          || Postbus 80.089
 /  |/ico Verwer   INTERNET: verwer@cs.ruu.nl    || 3508 TB Utrecht
                   UUCP: ...!hp4nl!ruuinf!verwer || the Netherlands

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (06/16/89)

In article <1382@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> verwer@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Nico Verwer) writes:
>that the `enhanced' version is about 28k, wheras the old version was only
>6k. Where does the increased size come from?

the extra code space is now eaten up by the re-arranged fonts that are used
by the v_gtext() routines. this memory used to be allocated at run time,
so total memory usage has really only gone up from about 20K to 28K.
also, code was added for faster line drawing, rectangle fills, etc.

remember, program size is NOT indicative of how much memory the program will
use.

an informal survey we (me and Darek) conducted on GEnie showed users wanted
a larger, faster version of Quick ST rather than a smaller, slower version. so
we give them what they want. hell, Turbo ST is 40K.

quick st can be made to use as little as 10K of memory, but it would be
slower.

--
Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)          watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac

"Catholic or Protestant, you got no choice. I tried to scream, but I lost
my voice!" from 'Irish Eyes Don't Smile Tonight' by SUBURBAN DISTORTION

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (06/17/89)

| I could uudecode and unarc quickst correctly. I was surprised when I found
| that the `enhanced' version is about 28k, wheras the old version was only
| 6k. Where does the increased size come from?
| The old version worked (although I didn't notice any speedup under
| first word+), but the new version bombs (2), or gives a `TOS error #35'
| message. Has anybody succeeded in getting the new version working?

Umm, I just got the new version yesterday and it ran fine! The docs said that
the old version was smaller, but allocated memory when it was installed. The
new version doesn't allocate any memory when installed. I think the docs said
it ended up a wash...

Yah, I don't think I see much improvement in First-Word Plus, but I do an
improvement in the Neodesk doc scroller and in gulam and more/less. And I do
think I see improvements in LDW Power, especially opening/closing windows.
It's not so much that you say "wow, that's fast" when it's on but "jeez,
things are slow!" when it's off.

BTW, the quick index program shows some dramatic improvements with quickst
installed.

(which reminds me, I *must* get around to registering with these guys)

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (07/23/89)

In article <512@electro.UUCP> ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:

>an informal survey we (me and Darek) conducted on GEnie showed users wanted
>a larger, faster version of Quick ST rather than a smaller, slower version. so
>we give them what they want. hell, Turbo ST is 40K.
>
>quick st can be made to use as little as 10K of memory, but it would be
>slower.

I agree with them.  Why care about 50 kb more or less when you usually
got 1 Mb, and at least 512 kb. It's not a very big deal. Rememeber, there're
quite a lot of people with four Mb out there...
Better this way, make the program bigger and FASTER!

Wouldn't an option for use with BLiTTER be nice?  (I get better results
on scrolling using QuickInf WITHOUT QuickST, but QuickST speeds up the
Cconws() etc several times)
By the way - someone who knows how to pay these ShareWare-money
from Sweden?  I can't really send 30$ in an envelope...?! Please e-mail!

  Daniel Deimert	   /  /    Internet: daniel@pkmab.se
  Fridstav. 4		  /  /     UUCP: ...{uunet,mcvax}!sunic.sunet.se!
  S-715 94  Odensbacken  /  /            kullmar!pkmab!daniel
  SWEDEN		/  /	   Phone: +46-19-52037, +46-19-111441 (BBS)