[comp.sys.atari.st] Disk Repair Advice

ftw@masscomp.UUCP (Farrell Woods) (06/19/89)

In article <18824@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> yz2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Steve Coco) writes:

>I messed up both the boot sector and the FAT table sectors on a disk, but
>the data sectors are intact. Is there anyway to recover the files from this
>disk? I have tried Disk Doctor and got nowhere. Help!

Did you clobber *both* copies of the FAT?  If not, you should be able to copy
the duplicate FAT over the old (damaged) FAT.  That will allow you to get at
your files.  The first thing that comes to mind for repairing the boot sector
is to use one of the good PD/shareware disk formatters (e.g., DCFORMAT), and
ask it to create an "MS-DOS" boot block on the diskette.

If both copies of the FAT are clobbered, then you are out of luck as far as
easy solutions go.  The clusters occupied by the files may be scattered
across the disk as opposed to being consecutive.
--
Farrell T. Woods				Voice:  (508) 392-2471
Concurrent Computer Corporation			Domain: ftw@masscomp.com

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (06/22/89)

DL II by Simon Poole had a method for fixing bad fat tables.  I would suggest
using that program before using DC Formatter's IBM boot sector.  If the boot
block is damaged, then you have a really difficult task ahead.  The best
solution would be to copy the boot block from an identical format disk.  Then
run the disk thru DL II.

- mike vederman
  Double Click Software

--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as:

BUGGS@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (06/23/89)

** !!HELP!! ** !!HELP!! ** !!HELP!! ** !!HELP!! **

My Micropolis 1355 ESDI HD dosen't spin anymore!!!!!!
I've called Micropolis to see if ti was the controller (Adaptec 4520).
The tech. told me it SHOULD spin with just the power supply connected, it
  doesn't so it's dead! *8^(
The problem is I *NEED* the data & files off of it, yeah I didn't back it up *8

The tech also suggested that I try and find a used drive to swap boards, that w

I *MIGHT* be able to get it to work & back it up.

***************
** !!PLEASE!! **

Ask around and see if you can find one, PLEASE!

PLEASE send an Email response to me or call my BBS @ 404-471-9230.

Ed June

yz2y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (07/23/89)

I messed up both the boot sector and the FAT table sectors on a disk, but
the data sectors are intact. Is there anyway to recover the files from this
disk? I have tried Disk Doctor and got nowhere. Help!

				-Steve