[net.wanted] stripped down nroff out there anywhere

ptseg@cal-unix (11/08/85)

We are running 4.1 UNIX on a VAX 11/750; much of our work involves cranking
out large documents and printouts of databases.  Both these tasks involve
a lot of nroffing, which seems to hog all the time on our computer.  After
examining a lot of the nroff-able docs on our system, I found that there
are at most five nroff commands that are used(i.e. .bp, .nf, .ce) in
99.9% of the documents.  Does anyone out there have a stripped-down version
of nroff that only implements the really rudimentary parts of the program?
If so, I would greatly appreciate any info about it.  I figure a small nroff
in place of the now-monstrous one would greatly ease the burden on our
poor little computer, and give me more time to do important things, like
play rogue.

By the way, we have a 4.1 src license.

Peter Thaggard,
cal-uni!ptseg

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705) (11/13/85)

In article <673@cal-unix> ptseg@cal-uni.UUCP (Peter Thaggard) writes:

>We are running 4.1 UNIX on a VAX 11/750; .....
>.... I found that there are at most five nroff commands that are used(i.e.
>.bp, .nf, .ce) in 99.9% of the documents.  Does anyone out there have a
>stripped-down version of nroff that only implements the....

AT&T sells (I think as part of the Documenter's Workbench?) a product called
"sroff".  It's about 10 times as fast as nroff; if you include the mm macro
package it slows down to 3 times as fast.  The mm stuff is compatible;
the macro facility is more limited, and it doesn't handle eqn or troff.  But
it's fast, and even runs on MS-DOS PCs.

As an alternative, consider getting a cheap 68000-based UNIX machine, and
having it just do nroff.  You can get them for as low as about $4000
and they can be almost as fast as a 750 (i.e. still slow, but you don't care.)
We have an internal product which is a 68000 board with 750K memory and a small
PROM monitor that knows how to download n/troff and process jobs.  It's a
single-process machine, but there's almost no overhead, so it's only limited by
communications bandwidth, and it does a good job of offloading the main CPU.
Avalon builds a similar board that plugs into a UNIBUS; it costs more but does
more.
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs