[comp.sys.atari.st] Split baud rates in PD

WILDDJ@VAXB.ASTON.AC.UK (07/22/89)

I'm using a WS2000 modem with my ST, and would really like to use it's
1200/75 mode. Does anyone know of any PD program that allows the use of
split baud rates (ie 1200/75), as uniterm, etc can't cope with it?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Wild

mark@ccvr1.uucp (Mark Boyd) (07/23/89)

In article <8907220742.AA22325@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
WILDDJ@VAXB.ASTON.AC.UK writes:

>I'm using a WS2000 modem with my ST, and would really like to use it's
>1200/75 mode.  Does anyone know of any PD program that allows the use of
>split baud rates (ie 1200/75), as uniterm, etc can't cope with it?
>
>	Thanks in advance,
>	Dave Wild

Dave,

It isn't the communications program that limits you to a single baud
rate for receive and transmit, it is the hardware/ ROM software.  If the
ST's serial port used a ACIA like the keyboard and midi, you could do a
hardware mod to separate the RX and TX clocks.  Instead it uses the MFP
chip to 'fake' a serial port and one of its timers ( D ) serves to set
the baud rate for both input and output.

Actually you could set different rates - but you couldn't use the bios
to do it.  You would have to write your own 'fake' serial port software.
Not an impossible task, but not trivial either.  I've never seen mention
of it being done.

	Mark Boyd,, Computer Science, UNC Asheville, Asheville, NC 28804
	mark@ccvr1.ncsu.edu
	mbunca@ecsvax.uncecs.edu