[comp.sys.atari.st] Object-Oriented Programming on the ST?

dave@motto.UUCP (dave brown) (07/19/89)

Does anyone know of any Object-Oriented Programming packages for the
ST, such as Smalltalk, C++, etc?  I'm just interested in playing
around with OOP a bit at home.  Thanks.

|  David C. Brown		|  uunet!mnetor!motto!dave		      |
|  Motorola Canada, Ltd.	|  416-499-1441 ext 3708		      |
|  Communications Division	|  Disclaimer: Motorola is a very big company |

poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu (Tom Poage) (07/20/89)

In article <66@motto.UUCP> dave@motto.UUCP (dave brown) writes:
>Does anyone know of any Object-Oriented Programming packages for the
>ST, such as Smalltalk, C++, etc?

A "little" lisp might be nice too.  Tom.
--
Tom Poage, Clinical Engineering
Universiy of California, Davis, Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (07/22/89)

poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu (Tom Poage) writes:

| In article <66@motto.UUCP> dave@motto.UUCP (dave brown) writes:
| > [ ... ] ST, such as Smalltalk, C++, etc?

| A "little" lisp might be nice too.  Tom.

Dave Betz' XLISP is available for the ST.  I haven't used it, so
I can't vouch for whether it has any of the OO extensions, but
source is freely available for XLISP 3.0...

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

swklassen@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (07/22/89)

In article <399@sunny.ucdavis.edu> poage@sunny.UUCP (Tom Poage) writes:
>In article <66@motto.UUCP> dave@motto.UUCP (dave brown) writes:
>>Does anyone know of any Object-Oriented Programming packages for the
>>ST, such as Smalltalk, C++, etc?
>
>A "little" lisp might be nice too.  Tom.

Metacomco makes/made a package called Cambridge List.  I have this.  It
seems fairly good but then I don't program anything of significance
in Lisp.  (I use is mostly for some AI experiments.)

Mine came with both an American address and a UK address.  I send my
registration to the American one but it returned to me (forwarding
address expired).  I thing the UK one never got through either.  I will
list both addresses here but if anyone knows of a more current one
please let me know so that I can get my registration card to them.

Metacomco                           Metacomco
26 Portland Square                  5353E Scotts Valley Drive
Bristol                             Scotts Valley, California
BS2 8RZ,  UK                        95066,  USA

Steven W. Klassen
Computer Science Major
University of Waterloo

gjh@otter.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (07/23/89)

Ken, do you really mean 3.0? I had heard rumours of a new release
but haven't seen any code posted. Any further details?

Cheers,

Graham
======

Graham Higgins @ HP Labs      	|  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060
Information Systems Centre    	|  gray@hpl.hp.co.uk
Bristol                       	|  gray%hplb.uucp@ukc.ac.uk
U.K.                          	|  gray@hplb.hpl.hp.com

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (07/23/89)

In article <15316@watdragon.waterloo.edu> swklassen@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) writes:
>Metacomco makes/made a package called Cambridge List.  I have this.  It
>seems fairly good but then I don't program anything of significance

... List of MetaComCo addresses

I also have Cambridge Lisp, but my copy was remaindered at the local
Atari shop for $20.  I sent in the registration card and it was returned
by the Post Office.  I also can't get a response to mail I sent about my
MetaComCo assembler, so I suspect the company is kaput.

Consider Prolog too.  There is a PD Prolog out, but since Rational
Visions sells their XPro for only $35 US, I prefer that.  I have an old
address, but perhaps someone (bammi?) knows the current status of XPro.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

atoenne@laura.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) (07/24/89)

In article <66@motto.UUCP> dave@motto.UUCP (dave brown) writes:
>Does anyone know of any Object-Oriented Programming packages for the
>ST, such as Smalltalk, C++, etc?  I'm just interested in playing
>around with OOP a bit at home.  Thanks.

There is a full port of Smalltalk80 Vers. 2.3 for the Atari MegaST4.
It is available from
	Georg Heeg
	Smalltalk80-Systems
	Baroperstr. 337
	4600 Dortmund
	West-Germany
	e-mail: georg@unido.uucp
	voice: x49 231 751326

It costs 1190DM + VAT for non-students and 399DM incl. VAT for students,
teachers, universities and such. (1$ = 2DM)

It runs at 41% Dorado but (from the users point of view) performs *VERY*
well. (I have one at home)

	Andreas Toenne
	atoenne@unido.uucp

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (07/25/89)

Before anyone gets too excited, I recently posted that XLISP 3.0
was available - I should have looked more closely at the sources
I have, they're version 2.0, dated Feb 1988.

I have heard from someone here @ atari that 3.0 is available, but
I don't know where.  A quick check in the `xlisp' conference on BIX
didn't get me anything more than a 2.1 PC version.