[comp.sys.atari.st] Defragger wanted

calengr@cory.Berkeley.EDU (California Engineer Magazine) (07/26/89)

In article <323@wet.UUCP> logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) writes:

>Ah, but don't forget that the Future Systems GTS-100 drive includes that
>nice track indicator!  Not exactly the most useful thing in the world but
>fun to look at and helpful in determinating if your floppy needs defragging.
>After you've had it for awhile, you can't live without it.  Whenever I use a
Can someone tell me where I can get a copy of a good
defragger for a floppy?

Thanks

Michael

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (07/27/89)

In article <15830@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> calengr@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (California Engineer Magazine) writes:
...[edited]...
>Can someone tell me where I can get a copy of a good
>defragger for a floppy?
>
>Thanks
>
>Michael

I don't know of any around, but that may be because you don't need one. Just
copy the files (not the whole disk, the files) to another (empty) floppy, and
they will be made contiguous. If you have a big enough RAMdisk, you can copy
the files to it, delete them from the original floppy, then copy them back.

When you use the desktop (or most utility programs) to copy whole disks, the
structure (and consequent fragmentation) of the disk is maintained. When
you copy the files (or complete folders), the data is accessed as a file,
and read and written back as file-sized entities. If the destination is
blank, the files are written contiguously.

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA