[comp.sys.atari.st] Alternatives to STARTGEM wanted.

kelly@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Sean Kelly) (07/23/89)

I really would like to be able to turnkey some programs that
insist on calling GEM.  I'd something like STARTGEM, but not
as buggy.  There's a rumor of a similar program in existence,
yet I can't locate it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction (as in FTP or
mailing it to me) for such a program?

Mail those replies, I'll summarize if there's any interest.

--
kelly (sean)                      `What is the wasting?'
kelly@nmtsun.nmt.edu              `The wasting is ... the wasting!'

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (07/25/89)

kelly@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Sean Kelly) writes:
>I really would like to be able to turnkey some programs that
>insist on calling GEM.  I'd something like STARTGEM, but not
>as buggy.  There's a rumor of a similar program in existence,
>yet I can't locate it.

Become a developer and get TOS 1.4.  You can use "Install Application"
to make one (1) GEM-type application launch before you see the Desktop.
(When it exits, you get the Desktop for the first time.)

jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (07/27/89)

In article <1620@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>kelly@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Sean Kelly) writes:
>>I really would like to be able to turnkey some programs that
>>insist on calling GEM.  I'd something like STARTGEM, but not
>>as buggy.  There's a rumor of a similar program in existence,
>>yet I can't locate it.

>Become a developer and get TOS 1.4.  You can use "Install Application"
>to make one (1) GEM-type application launch before you see the Desktop.
>(When it exits, you get the Desktop for the first time.)

[ Sigh, FLAME ON ]

Let's try something different here Allan, it's called "Reality".  Do you really
expect someone to become a developer JUST to get TOS 1.4?

What if I WAS a developer.  I write some nifty wizz-bang software that requires
to be run under 1.4.  That's fine and dandy, but you probably wouldn't be able
to sell a product until Atari gets off their duff and starts shipping TOS 1.4
to the people who are willing to *PAY* for it.  (No, not the developers kit AND
TOS 1.4, just 1.4.)

[ Flames lowering... ]

The St is a nice machine for it's nitch.  It's not the answer for all
questions.  However, a USABLE ST would be an interesting concept.  I've got an
auto-folder full of "patches" to work around bugs that Atari was nice enough to
put in my computer.  (Of course they didn't tell me about them before I bought
it :-)

	-Jeff
--
Of course my company doesn't approve of what I say.  If they did, they wouldn't
let me tell you.

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (07/27/89)

From article <1620@atari.UUCP>, by apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt):
> kelly@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Sean Kelly) writes:
>>I really would like to be able to turnkey some programs that
>>insist on calling GEM.  I'd something like STARTGEM, but not
>>as buggy.  There's a rumor of a similar program in existence,
>>yet I can't locate it.
>
> Become a developer and get TOS 1.4.  You can use "Install Application"
> to make one (1) GEM-type application launch before you see the Desktop.
> (When it exits, you get the Desktop for the first time.)

> Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
> reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

Er, Allan, are you trying to tell us common-or-garden users
something about the availability of TOS 1.4 to non-developers?  I
have a feeling that we're not going to see it this side of
Christmas.

Becoming a developer may be a viable option in the USA, but in
Britain it costs (last time I checked) the equivalent of $600,
even if you already have the Mark Williams C compiler that comes
bundled with it.  In any case, neither of the registered
developers I know at the University of Sussex have been sent TOS
1.4. (or indeed anything else over the past year).  Not that I'm
suggesting Allan's responsible in any way for the appalling
support provided by Atari UK.

Does anyone have any new information on when TOS 1.4 will be
available:

a) in new machines (and in which ones)

b) for the rest of us to retrofit

It's been some time now since Ken Badertscher announced that the
ROMs were going into production.  It's about time we saw some
results.

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk