[comp.sys.atari.st] Rewiring Disk Drives

ccsmh@gdr.bath.ac.uk (Mark Harding) (07/26/89)

  Does anybody know how to rewire the ST so that the External Drive
is actually drive A while the internal drive becomes drive b?

  I Have a 520STFM with extern 1 Meg Cumana drive.

                     Cheers.

  One of these days...

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (07/31/89)

In article <1989Jul26.094914.15784@gdt.bath.ac.uk> ccsmh@gdr.bath.ac.uk (Mark Harding) writes:

>  Does anybody know how to rewire the ST so that the External Drive
>is actually drive A while the internal drive becomes drive b?
>
>  I Have a 520STFM with extern 1 Meg Cumana drive.
>
>                     Cheers.
I'll try to help you out with this, but I certainly do NOT guarantee
this to work!

On the internal disk drive, there should be a 34-pin ribbon cable that
connects to the drive via a 34-pin header.  Locate wires 9-13.  Remove
the header, and pull these 5 lines up IN A GROUP (separate pins 8-9, and
13-14).  Now twist these wires 180 degrees (so what USED to be facing
down is now facing up), and reconnect the 34 pin header.  What you just
did was to reverse the drive 1 and 2 lines.  Now, the computer, when
accessing drive B, will access the internal drive.

Now do the same thing to the external drive, but do not do it inside the
computer.  This would be very messy.  Do it at the 34 pin connector that
plugs into the drive.

This should work (I see no reason why not).

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Kodak ColorEdge: The world's fastest color copier!  | 3) Coke Classic