[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari UK Unsupport

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (07/31/89)

In article <1198@syma.sussex.ac.uk> grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas)
writes:
>something about the availability of TOS 1.4 to non-developers?  I
>have a feeling that we're not going to see it this side of
>Christmas.

I have that weird stomach churning feeling too!

>Becoming a developer may be a viable option in the USA, but in
>Britain it costs (last time I checked) the equivalent of $600,

For the now legendary Xerox box.

>even if you already have the Mark Williams C compiler that comes
>bundled with it.  In any case, neither of the registered
>developers I know at the University of Sussex have been sent TOS
>1.4. (or indeed anything else over the past year).

The last time we got a developers newsletter was November 1987!
Madmac & ALN now available it said. The US had had them for almost a year!
I would have thought that Atari US and UK had some e-mail links that would
keep everyone up to date. It seems not.

>Not that I'm
>suggesting Allan's responsible in any way for the appalling
>support provided by Atari UK.

Agreed! Allan, Ken et al are all we in the UK seem to have by way of
support. For which I am truly grateful.

Other Atari UK crimes include:

	Treating the Developers kit like just another profit making product.

	They only seem interested in marketing programs that they can shift
	quick with no support (ie. games/leisure).

	Buying programs but not releasing them.

	A total lack of enthusiasm for the Atari show hosted by Database.
	As a result of which it will not be held again.

	When you phone, 'The Man' is not here or in a meeting 5 days a week.
	Truth is 'The Man' is not bl**dy interested!
	Don't even bother sending a letter.

Just how much control do the Tramiels have over Atari UK?
I reckon they should fly over here and kick some Atari UK ass/backside.

UK RUMOUR: Does anyone believe that were going to see the TT in 1989 and that
it will cost 1200 pounds?

>Does anyone have any new information on when TOS 1.4 will be
>available:

I beleive that Germany does well there. No surprise I guess.

>Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
> JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk
> ARPA:  grahamt%syma.sussex.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
> UUCP:  grahamt@syma.uucp          Phone: +44 273 686758

I have no connection with Atari UK though it is not for want of trying.

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK            "spam spaM spAM sPAM SPAM, lovely SPAM"  !