[comp.sys.atari.st] SH204 Hard Drive Advice

gary@mic.UUCP (Gary Lewin) (07/26/89)

I have an SH204 hard drive that has died a sad death.  Unfortunately, the
problem has been diagnosed to be the Adaptek controller card.  Local
repair facilities have said that the card cannot be repaired but must
be replaced.  After doing some research, I have several questions:

1)  Does anyone have a suggestion of a repair facility that could repair
    an SH204 Adaptek card for a reasonable fee?

2)  Are there any suggestions on the best place to buy one of the
    following Adaptek cards:  4000A, 4010, 4070 or 4070A?

3)  Are there other brands of cards which will work with little or no
    modification?

Advice on this matter is needed and appreciated.  If you feel a response
would be useful to others on the net, then post.  Otherwise, please respond
via mail.

Gary Lewin
USMAIL: P.O. Box 2010,  Dallas, Texas  75221    /*    This  Section    */
UUCP:   {attctc, convex, texbell}!mic!gary      /*    Intentionally    */
DOMAIN: mic!gary@texbell.swbt.com               /*     Left  Blank     */

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (07/27/89)

In article <258@mic.UUCP>, gary@mic.UUCP (Gary Lewin) writes:

> I have an SH204 hard drive that has died a sad death.  Unfortunately, the
> problem has been diagnosed to be the Adaptek controller card.  Local
> repair facilities have said that the card cannot be repaired but must
> be replaced.  After doing some research, I have several questions:
>
> 1)  Does anyone have a suggestion of a repair facility that could repair
>     an SH204 Adaptek card for a reasonable fee?
>
> 2)  Are there any suggestions on the best place to buy one of the
>     following Adaptek cards:  4000A, 4010, 4070 or 4070A?

Timeline, Inc, 1-800-872-8878 will sell you an adaptec 4000a for $60.
Even the others sell it for $135.

Get the 4070 ONLY if your going to put an RLL drive into your sh204.

I recommend getting a 4000a, and adding an outboarded second drive.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

lodzins@pilot.njin.net (Dean Lodzinski) (07/31/89)

--
Dean Lodzinski         CSRA19@TURBO.Kean.edu or lodzins@pilot.njin.net
47 Mercury Circle      Dean Lodzinski on FoReM FNET at node 133