[comp.sys.atari.st] quick-st

f-leoe@IFI.UIO.NO (Lars-Erik 0sterud) (07/18/89)

I can't get Quick-ST to work on the MEGA ST's with the ROM's at lower
adress than normal (the first MEGA ST2) and neither on a ST with TOS 1.4.
Is this a big problem - and - will it be corrected....

  Lars-Erik 0sterud   /   Summer & Christmas:   /
   leoe@ifi.uio.no   /     f-leoe@ifi.uio.no   /
____________________/  _______________________/

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (07/20/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.616756715.f-leoe@kyrre.uio.no> f-leoe@IFI.UIO.NO (Lars-Erik 0sterud) writes:
>I can't get Quick-ST to work on the MEGA ST's with the ROM's at lower
>adress than normal (the first MEGA ST2) and neither on a ST with TOS 1.4.
>Is this a big problem - and - will it be corrected....

hmmm, i never heard of the ST's roms at addresses other than the regular
addresses. nothing we can do about that. yell at atari   :-) :-)

your other problem, with it not runing on TOS 1.4, that is strange as well
since we are developing quickst on TOS 1.4!

**** IMPORTANT *****

to help us help you (the atari world in general), when reporting bugs in
quick st, PLEASE describe ALL TSR's and desk accessories you have loaded in
your system when you try to run quick st, the version of quick st you have,
and if you are running it as an accessory or program, the version of TOS,
the resolution you encountered the problem in and the nature of the problem.
we really can't do too much for you if you simply say that it doesn't work.

a new auto folder version to be released at the end of this week is VERY
compatible (no problems with anything we have tried it with so far, including
atari's GDOS and Easel ST, which have caused problems even with TURBO ST!!)

so, be looking forwards to version 1.5 this friday on all on-line services and
the net! (registered owners will receive an even faster version - hint hint)

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (07/21/89)

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:

| hmmm, i never heard of the ST's roms at addresses other than the regular
| addresses. nothing we can do about that. yell at atari   :-) :-)

And Atari will yell right back at you! >:->

There is a perfectly legal and documented way to get the base address
of the ROM if you really need it.  Which you shouldn't, for almost all
applications.

A pointer to the OS header is located at $4f2; the structure of the OS
header is documented in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the BIOS (contact
Gail Johnson at Atari 408/745-2568 for information on how to get ST
developer documentation).

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

f-leoe@IFI.UIO.NO (Lars-Erik 0sterud) (07/30/89)

The new version og Quick-ST  (1.46) seems to work OK, BUT there are some
strange things....

1)  If you select black backgrund and then clear line in VT52 the standard
    vt fills the rest of the line with spaces i that color...
    With Quick-ST the backgrund allways gets white.....

2)  The vt52 Goto-position command doesn't work as it should...
    In LDW power the help menus get 10 chars too far to the right, and
    in another program all text after vt52-goto is printed in the lower
    right corner...

Is there a newer version of Quick-ST.   Can this be started from /AUTO/ ?
Where can I order this and at what price ?

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (08/01/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.617812720.f-leoe@kyrre.uio.no> f-leoe@IFI.UIO.NO (Lars-Erik 0sterud) writes:
>1)  If you select black backgrund and then clear line in VT52 the standard
>    vt fills the rest of the line with spaces i that color...
>    With Quick-ST the backgrund allways gets white.....

thanx for pointing this one out. just tried it now and sure enough,
we handle it wrong. time for another update :-)

>2)  The vt52 Goto-position command doesn't work as it should...
>    In LDW power the help menus get 10 chars too far to the right, and
>    in another program all text after vt52-goto is printed in the lower
>    right corner...

i can't see how vt52 positioning commands get into LDW power since its a
gem based spreadsheet, isn't it?? furthermore, vt52 cursor positioning
does work since i am typing in this reply using vi, which uses esc-Y for
cursor positioning.  e-mail a report of all other tsr's and accessories
you may be using, as well as a better description of your problem, and
the name of the "other" program.

>Is there a newer version of Quick-ST.   Can this be started from /AUTO/ ?
>Where can I order this and at what price ?

as stated a few times, the address for registering for Quick ST is
listed in the documentation that comes with all version of QuickST,
including version 1.46. Registered owners will receive version 1.5, which
is faster and has less bugs than 1.46!