[comp.sys.atari.st] ETERNAL2 problem on megas

VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1.BITNET (08/03/89)

In Info-Atari16 Digest #351, mcvax!ukc!reading!bru-cc!ralph@uunet.uu.net
(Ralph Mitchell) writes:

>ETERNAL2 doesn't actually work in a Mega 4...  Using HiSoft's resident
>monitor I have tracked it down to the bit where it checks to see if the
>ram disk is already resident.  It picks up the system variable that gives
>the physical top of memory and then fetches the word (or byte ?) from that
>location.  The location specified is one past the end of real memory, but
>the MMU is quite happy to return 0xFF for non-existent locations.  In the
>Mega 4, however, the non-existent location is beyond the maximum address
>that the MMU can handle, so it gets a real bus error.  Moshe ??

This was discussed several months (years? :-) ago when the Mega ST4 first came
out.  The ETERNAL2 RAM disk wasn't written by Moshe Braner, but by John Franco
(if I remember correctly).  The behavior you describe is indeed the problem.
I fixed it, added a few more features and emailed the resulting file to a few
people.  I can send you a copy if you want.

Bitnet:  VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1 (will go away late '89)      Volker A. Brandt
          UNM409@DBNRHRZ1 (soon)                       Angewandte Mathematik
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNUAMA1.bitnet!vbrandt             (Bonn, West Germany)
ARPAnet: VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU