[comp.sys.atari.st] 2Mb Mega 2 upgrade

mfolivo@sactoh0 (Mark F. Olivo) (08/04/89)

Can someone enlighten me about the 2Mb upgrade board that Atari had
that used the expansion bus on the Mega 2 to make it a 4Mb machine?

I worked at a computer store (since gone out of business) and we
had one of those kits, but didn't know much about them. I
understand that this 2Mb board would not have worked on a Mega 4 as
TOS is limited to 4Mb RAM (?)

And, is this board available from Atari or Atari dealers, or is
this something we aren't supposed to know about?

Mark Newton-John

#         PRIVATE             #  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.  #
#         PARKING             #  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0    #

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (08/07/89)

In article <1679@sactoh0> mfolivo@sactoh0 (Mark F. Olivo) writes:

>Can someone enlighten me about the 2Mb upgrade board that Atari had
>that used the expansion bus on the Mega 2 to make it a 4Mb machine?

just wondering: what does the atari do if you give it more than
4 Mb of memory. will the mmu generate an address error for an access greater
than the 4Mb limit, or what. if so, that seems to cripple the 16Mb limit of
the 68000 in a big way.

speaking of boards for the Megas: what is out there anyways. anyone care
to compile a complete as possible list of peripheral cards available for
the Mega that connect to the internal bus slot. it would be interesting to
know what people are doing with the expansion slot.

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!