[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari ST networking..

pcalvin@crocus.waterloo.edu (08/05/89)

Is there a 'decent' networking system available for the ST?  I am looking
for something that I can hook up a 386 with my ST, either through a
SCSI interface or through the RS232 port..

Any help would be appreciated..

...Phil

pcalvin@crocus.waterloo.edu
University of Waterloo
Faculty of Math

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (08/07/89)

pcalvin@crocus.waterloo.edu writes:
> Is there a 'decent' networking system available for the ST?  I am looking
> for something that I can hook up a 386 with my ST, either through a
> SCSI interface or through the RS232 port..

This won't help you much, but I've just recently been looking at SCSI in
general, and it seems to be a small networking system already.  You can
have up to eight devices on the SCSI bus.  There is no restriction as to
what function the 8 devices perform, you could have any mix of processors
and periferals.  The devices arbitrate for bus access as part of the
SCSI protocol in hardware/firmware usually in single chip SCSI controllers.

All one would have to do is write networking software -- the hardware seems
to already exist: such as disk drives with imbedded SCSI interfaces, and the
Atari ST to SCSI host adapters that you can buy from places like ICD.

It would seem that one should be able to hook several ST's and a disk drive
or two together with the right cableing (and some SCSI host adapters for the
ST's) with no problems.  Maybe write some software to make one ST a file
server and the others diskless workstations.

--
- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428  -
- logajan@ns.network.com / ...rutgers!umn-cs!ns!logajan / john@logajan.mn.org -