[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard drive controler info

WSCART01@ULKYVX.BITNET (08/05/89)

*   Since I couldn't get my server to send this mail message
*   i'm left with no alternative but to post it to the net.
*   Sorry for any inconveience.
*                                              Stuart

> From: harry@moncam.co.uk (Jangling Neck Nipper)
> Subject:Where can I get: (a) 1.4 TOS (b) SCSI adaptor???
> Date: 31 Jul 89 18:57:26 GMT

> Are the TOS 1.4 ROM's available in the UK now, and if so, where?  How
> much?  Can they be put into a (fairly ancient) 520?  I have been told
> no, but is this because 1.4 is going out on bigger ROM's, or will the
> new TOS simply not work with such an old machine?

I've no idea, but i dought it.

> Secondly, I have a Quantum 60 (100?) MB Hard Disk with embedded SCSI
> that I want to use.  I've heard that Adaptec make a controller to
> go to SCSI; what's its number, and where (pref. UK) can I get it

OK, here is the deal. You need a host adpater. Which is a DMA port to
controler. I would recomend the ICD adapter. I just bought it and it seems
to work well. (Problem is that it was version 2.7 and i know for a fact that
software version 3.2 is out.) It was priced at $123 US. It is suppose to
run with either a controler board (the adaptec you mentioned) or a
embedded SCSI device (which you said it is).
If you are in dought as to wither it is truely an embedded SCSI, check for
the 50 pin plug. If it is there, the controler is built in, if not, you need
a adaptec 4000a (repeat 4000a) controler for standard format. If your drive
is RLL rated (an extended format) you need an RLL adaptec controler 4070.

Finialy, if you cant get it to work, sell it to me for an absurdly low price.

> (how much?).  Also, the Supra HD software seems like a good thing
> to get; again, where from and how much?

ICD adapter comes with software. Total price should be $123 US.

> Thirdly, can I hang other devices off the SCSI?  Someone said that you
> could get more than one *hard* disk going because of the way the Supra
> driver deals with them; would it handle other SCSI devices in the same
> way, or would another driver be needed (assuming it's at all doable)?

The ICD adapter can handle 7 devices. Device 6 is a built in clock. That
leaves 6 drive spaces free. Also, you can buy controlers that control two
drives for the price of one device. (You can have up to 12 hard drives.)

> Thanks in advance.

You're welcome in advance...

> --
>    Harry Fearnhamm,         EMAIL: harry@moncam.co.uk
>     Monotype ADG,                  ...!ukc!acorn!moncam!harry
>     Science Park,           VOICE: +44 (0)223 420018
>      Cambridge,                   FAX:   +44 (0)223 420911
>       CB4 4FQ,
>       ENGLAND.

PS: I forgot to tell you, Tos 1.2 can only handle 16 megs at a time. You
have to give you drive imaginary particions to access the full drive.
EX: You have 50 megs, you make it think of 5 10 meg drives. (Tos 1.4 can
handle 32 megs.) (It is covered in the ICD manual if you are confused.)

Stuart
(How's the weather up there? A nice hot 75F ?    Snicker!  :-)
(I'm sitting here at 1 AM and it is 85 outside! Too hot for me!)

robert.rasmussen@canremote.uucp (ROBERT RASMUSSEN) (08/06/89)

Host adapters for the Atari is a touchy subject.....
Some of the later embedded SCSI drives are too fast for older host
adapters.
In gereral I have tested quite a few drives and found that Supra (08)
series is the most compatable, it will handle just about every HD and
SCSI type available.
Older versions of Supra are incompatable with faster embedded SCSI
drives.
ICD will handle most of the HD's on the market but I was unsucessfull at
getting faster Maxtor 8000 series to work properly.
But in general , they are my second choice.
Both the Atari and Berkley systems work with slower controllers like teh
Adaptec and OMTI but they work poorly with faster type embedded SCSI
drives!
In general Atari SH204 works fine with teh supplied HD, but if you plan
on adding a second drive....WATCH OUT!
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.0R

bms@bdt.UUCP (Vance Chin) (08/09/89)

In article <89080709104916@masnet.uucp> robert.rasmussen@canremote.uucp (ROBERT RASMUSSEN) writes:
--- stuff deleted ---
>Both the Atari and Berkley systems work with slower controllers like teh
>Adaptec and OMTI but they work poorly with faster type embedded SCSI
>drives!
--- end deleted ---

	You must be thinking of the BMS-100 board which we are no longer
shipping. The BMS-200 has replaced it and has a 1.6 Megabyte/second sustained
data rate.  One CDC Wren SCSI drive that a customer brought by had a transfer
rate of about 700+ Kbytes/s. Both the Atari's host adapter used in the SH204
and ICD's host adapter transfer data at about the same rate.

Vance Chin
Berkeley Microsystems

message for Frans: please reply so I can get a good path...

landay@mrk.ardent.com (James A Landay) (08/12/89)

In article <111@bdt.UUCP> bms@bdt.UUCP (Vance Chin) writes:
>	You must be thinking of the BMS-100 board which we are no longer
>shipping. The BMS-200 has replaced it and has a 1.6 Megabyte/second sustained
>data rate.  One CDC Wren SCSI drive that a customer brought by had a transfer
>rate of about 700+ Kbytes/s. Both the Atari's host adapter used in the SH204
>and ICD's host adapter transfer data at about the same rate.
>
>Vance Chin
>Berkeley Microsystems

Do you guys have an upgrade from the BMS-100 to the BMS-200??

Thanks,

James A. Landay
landay@ardent.com
	 or