[comp.sys.atari.st] Dallas SmartWatch & software for it

george_seto@brains.UUCP (George Seto) (08/15/89)

  Andrew Como @ bnlux0.bnl.gov writes :

 > I was given some software to run the clock that was written by some
 > now-defunct software house in Calif (the name escapes me).  The software
 > doesn't seem to work with the clock inserted in any of the ST's rom
 > positions.

 > Has anyone sucessfully written software to run the clock chip on the
 > 1040 ST?

   Yes, a fellow named Bill Penner from Washington/Oregon way wrote a program
called AREAL, which is up to version 3.31 currently. There was an article in
a magazine called ST-Xpress which published an early version of the program.
The current version of the software works either under the ROMS (you MUST
have a ROM in the socket) on the main board, or under ROMs in the cartridge.
The software is supplied with a configuration program and two versions of the
program. One works in the AUTO Folder, and the other is an accessory. The
program will also accept as many SmartWatches in as many socket positions as
you have ROMS for. In a 6 rom system with cartridge, that could be as many as
10 Smartwatches. It can set each of them independently, you could have the
time zones for quite a bit of the world in your computer.
 Check your local BBS's for this software. It is definitely worth getting.

 >Also the Dallas Semi chip is rather bulky in the 1040 ST ..basically
 >I'm gonna have to cut the power supply housing to make it fit.  Does
 >anyone know of a cartridge time clock?

  There are several cartridge time clocks. The two most popular also allow
other functions as well. DeskCart from QMI is one, and BackPack from a
company in Britain.

   Does that help? Hope so. Where abouts are you located, Andrew?
--
   -===------===-    From George Seto at Cerebral Cortex BBS System
  -==-==----==-==-   (902)462-7245 3/12/2400 8N1 24h/7d