[comp.sys.atari.st] 82 track DS/DD drive needed

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (07/24/89)

In article <8907191857.AA11705@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> TK0GRM1@NIU.BITNET (Gordon Meyer) writes:
>I'm in the market for an external DS/DD drive for my 1040ST.
>It *must* go to 82 tracks, I understand that not all Atari
>brand drives will do so...true?  If so, can somebody
>tell me of 3rd party drive that will.
>thanks..
>-=->G<-=-

The 3.5 inch disk drive kit sold by 1st Stop Computers is advertised as
an 85 track drive.  Right now, it only costs $149.95, so scoop it up
while you can!

The Future Systems GTS drives for the ST go up to 83 tracks (I believe).
However, it costs around $200.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Kodak ColorEdge: The world's fastest color copier!  | 3) Coke Classic

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (07/25/89)

In article <1074@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:

>The 3.5 inch disk drive kit sold by 1st Stop Computers is advertised as
>an 85 track drive.  Right now, it only costs $149.95, so scoop it up
>while you can!
>
>The Future Systems GTS drives for the ST go up to 83 tracks (I believe).
>However, it costs around $200.

Ah, but don't forget that the Future Systems GTS-100 drive includes that
nice track indicator!  Not exactly the most useful thing in the world but
fun to look at and helpful in determinating if your floppy needs defragging.
After you've had it for awhile, you can't live without it.  Whenever I use a
regular SF314 now, I keep looking for a track indicator and feel
disappointment whenever I realize that there isn't one.

Also, most mail order places sell the GTS-100 for $189.95 and the GTS-100X
(a stripped down version sans track indicator) for $179.95.

--
           Henry Kwan / FWB, Inc.         |  What The ST Needs:
     claris!wet!logic@ames.arc.nasa.gov   |  A) 50 Mhz 68030/68882

TK0GRM1@NIU.BITNET (Gordon Meyer) (08/16/89)

I am i