[comp.sys.atari.st] Latest version of PageStream?

jensen@cod.NOSC.MIL (Layne K. Jensen) (08/10/89)

I have the version of PageStream that was released toward the end of 1988,
the first really "usable" version.  (I don't have the disk with me at the
moment, so I can't give the numerical version number.)  I use it occasionally,
but the more I do the more frustrated I become with the bugs.

Can someone tell me the number of the latest version?  I haven't received
any word from SoftLogik about availability, but I recently saw a message
on the network that made me think there may be a newer one.

I've been giving SoftLogik the benefit of the doubt since the days of the
original Publishing Partner, but it's beginning to wear thin.  If there has
been an upgrade sometime in the last six months or so, what are the terms?

Thanks for any help.

Layne Jensen                           jensen@nosc.MIL
Naval Ocean Systems Center             ...!sdcsvax!noscvax!jensen
San Diego, CA
--
Layne Jensen                           jensen@nosc.MIL
Naval Ocean Systems Center             ...!sdcsvax!noscvax!jensen
San Diego, CA

nelson@kodak.UUCP (Bruce Nelson) (08/11/89)

The latest released version is 1.52, which was a minor fix to 1.51.

Version 1.6 is due out very soon. A beta tester I talked to said "everything
works ... even the spelling checker". SoftLogik was waiting for their TOS 1.4
roms to make sure the program worked with them.

They;ve also mentioned that they won't announce it's ready till it ships ...
to prevent the previous ill-will when they missed release dates.

-Bruce Nelson

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (08/16/89)

In article <1605@cod.NOSC.MIL>, jensen@cod.NOSC.MIL (Layne K. Jensen) writes:
> I have the version of PageStream that was released toward the end of 1988,
> the first really "usable" version.  (I don't have the disk with me at the
> moment, so I can't give the numerical version number.)  I use it occasionally,
> but the more I do the more frustrated I become with the bugs.
>
> Can someone tell me the number of the latest version?  I haven't received
> any word from SoftLogik about availability, but I recently saw a message
> on the network that made me think there may be a newer one.
>
> I've been giving SoftLogik the benefit of the doubt since the days of the
> original Publishing Partner, but it's beginning to wear thin.  If there has
> been an upgrade sometime in the last six months or so, what are the terms?

	A couple of things about Softlogik. First, SL is a very small company
and they have always had a bad reputation when it comes to Publishing Partner
or PageStream (PgS). The last,offically released, version of PgS was 1.52.
SL is working on a version of PgS for the Amiga, but I don't know much about
it. My feeling is that PgS for the ST is pretty much dead. I use Calamus, which
has much better support. There are rumors of 'beta' versions, up to 1.59, being
tested. In fact, I read in ST REPORT about a custmoer out in San Diego who got
1.59 by mistake. The folks at SL accussed him of piracy when he asked SL about
it.

	Another, I read an article about SL. It seems that a disgruntled (to put
it mildly (-( ) sent a mail bomb to SL after he was fired!! The SL people called
the Police, who disarmed it. I have to admire those police officers! I have no idea
why or who the former employee was.

	If you can get an account on GEnie you can get more info, and leave questions
to SL.
rec
.