[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Drive Speeds

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (08/09/89)

I was wondering, is the diff between the slower (i.e. Atari Megafile 30)
hard drives and the quicker (28 ms) drives noticeable in day-to-day
usage.  I understand I can get a Megafile 30 for $499 and am debating
about holding out for a faster (& more expensive) drive.

On another note, how about some reports on these 'Frog' drives :-} with
the removable media.  Fast? Reliable? Standard? Compatible (with Atari-
'soon'-to-be-released-drives)?

 Bill Hodges                    |  Me?  People who speak for the Air Force get
 bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil  |  paid a lot more than I do! I just work here.

dbsuther@PacBell.COM (Daniel B. Suthers) (08/09/89)

In article <1275@blackbird.afit.af.mil> bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil writes:
>I was wondering, is the diff between the slower (i.e. Atari Megafile 30)
>hard drives and the quicker (28 ms) drives noticeable in day-to-day
>usage.  I understand I can get a Megafile 30 for $499 and am debating
>about holding out for a faster (& more expensive) drive.
>
>On another note, how about some reports on these 'Frog' drives :-} with
>the removable media.  Fast? Reliable? Standard? Compatible (with Atari-
>'soon'-to-be-released-drives)?

The faster drives are noticeably faster.  If you are useing file based
based utilities such as arc, a compiler, MTC (a multi tasking shell), or
Minix you will notice a VAST improvement ( about 4 times faster ).  Many
graphics programs also write to the disk often.

The FROG drive appears to be based on the Syquest drives.  I have used their
10 meg disks, and find them to be usable, but pretty fragile.  You can lose
a disk by dropping it 2 feet onto a desk.  The ones I used were also VERY
susceptible to power hits.  A 1 second outage was guaranteed to cause data
corruption.  A suprising feature was that the drives also are sensitive
about their orientation.  They don't work well on their sides.

Keep in mind that it is a hard disk, and the heads can crash just like
those with fixed media.  If you make the mistake of putting a crashed disk
back into a drive you might end up with a bad head which will trash any
other $100 disks you insert afterwards.

Don't get me wrong though.  As soon as I can get a hands on demo I plan to
consider the purchase my-self. 	It would be great for setting up a development
disk, a MAC disk, and a dos disk without fear of accidently corrupting each
other.  I am aware of the risks, and can be careful enough to reduce them
to a reasonable level.  Who knows,  they may have added auto parking, power
tolerance, enhanced quality control and all the other things a personal
computer user needs  :^).

Dan Suthers
uucp: ... ihnp4!pacbell!pbeos!dbsuther

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (08/11/89)

In article <29194@pbhya.PacBell.COM> dbsuther@PacBell.COM (Daniel B. Suthers) writes:

>The faster drives are noticeably faster.  If you are useing file based
>based utilities such as arc, a compiler, MTC (a multi tasking shell), or
>Minix you will notice a VAST improvement ( about 4 times faster ).  Many
>graphics programs also write to the disk often.

I would have to say that a drive's transfer rate make more of a difference
than the average access time.  Unless you are doing intensive database work
which requires a lot of seeks or you have a badly fragged hard disk, the
transfer rate will make more of a difference.  Compare a ST506/412's
5Mbit/sec to something like an Imprimis 94181-702M's 15-24Mbit/sec (ain't
sure on this one but it's somewhere in that neighborhood).  The Imprimis
will just blow your socks off.

>The FROG drive appears to be based on the Syquest drives.  I have used their
>10 meg disks, and find them to be usable, but pretty fragile.  You can lose
>a disk by dropping it 2 feet onto a desk.  The ones I used were also VERY
>susceptible to power hits.  A 1 second outage was guaranteed to cause data
>corruption.  A suprising feature was that the drives also are sensitive
>about their orientation.  They don't work well on their sides.

I have not used the SyQuest 10MB cartridge drives but I have used the 44MB
cartridge drives and find them to be quite reliable.  Sure, you wouldn't
want to risk a cartridge by dropping it two feet but then again, would you
do the same to your fixed hard disk?  The SyQuest 44MB drives are
auto-parking so power failures have little effect.  They also work well on
their sides.  Look at PLI's 44MB drive.  They are suppose to work on their
sides!

> [stuff deleted]
>
>Dan Suthers
>uucp: ... ihnp4!pacbell!pbeos!dbsuther

I am putting together a 44MB drive for a friend this weekend.  Will report
on how it runs on the ST.  Should be fairly decent in any event.

--
           Henry Kwan - FWB, Inc.         |  "Experience varies directly
     claris!wet!logic@ames.arc.nasa.gov   |    with equipment ruined."

alderaan@tubopal.UUCP (Thomas Cervera) (08/12/89)

In article <399@wet.UUCP> logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) writes:
>In article <29194@pbhya.PacBell.COM> dbsuther@PacBell.COM (Daniel B. Suthers) writes:
>
>[...] Compare a ST506/412's
>5Mbit/sec to something like an Imprimis 94181-702M's 15-24Mbit/sec (ain't
>sure on this one but it's somewhere in that neighborhood).  The Imprimis
>will just blow your socks off.

  But doesn't the DMA bus limit such a speed if you solder it to an ST ?

--
Thomas Cervera         | UUCP:   alderaan@tubopal.UUCP
SysMan RKOpdp (RSTS/E) |         ...!unido!tub!opal!alderaan (Europe)

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (08/13/89)

In article <676@opal.tubopal.UUCP> alderaan@tubopal.UUCP (Thomas Cervera) writes:
>In article <399@wet.UUCP> logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) writes:
>
>>[...] Compare a ST506/412's
>>5Mbit/sec to something like an Imprimis 94181-702M's 15-24Mbit/sec (ain't
>>sure on this one but it's somewhere in that neighborhood).  The Imprimis
>>will just blow your socks off.
>
>  But doesn't the DMA bus limit such a speed if you solder it to an ST ?

True.  Then again, I'm of the school of thinking that overkill is better
than underkill.  The Imprimis drive will get something like 1,050K/sec on
ICD's RATEHD while the ST506/412 drive will get something like 300K/sec.
Real-life benchmarks are probably less glaring in difference but should
still be quite noticable.

I'm curious about the BMS-200 host adapter though.  They claim that it
supports a 1.6MB/sec transfer rate but I always thought that the ST's DMA
bus limit was 1.33MB/sec.  Or are they measuring it at the SCSI level?

--

bms@bdt.UUCP (Vance Chin) (08/16/89)

In article <411@wet.UUCP> logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) writes:

>I'm curious about the BMS-200 host adapter though.  They claim that it
>supports a 1.6MB/sec transfer rate but I always thought that the ST's DMA
>bus limit was 1.33MB/sec.  Or are they measuring it at the SCSI level?

	The Atari DMA bus will handshake at 2 Megabytes/second,  this assumes
zero turnaround time between ack's and drq's and the DMA bus. The problem is
that the DMA chip tends to modify the data at this rate ( only a slight
problem :-) ).  The next step down is 1.6MB/sec due to the clock rates.

Vance Chin