[comp.sys.atari.st] user base

allegro@sunpix.UUCP ( SunVis) (08/08/89)

  Does anyone have an idea how many ST's & MEGA's have been sold in N.A.
 and Europe as well as Asia ect.

  I have a friend who's developing a productivity package for the Amiga
and Mac and he wants to know the ST's user base to evaluate the profit
potential of our system. He has called Atari but they just tell him that
info is unavailable for general release.

--
uucp: mcnc!rti!sunpix!steve or mcnc!rti!sunpix!allegro |Stephen McKay Matson
 "FRODO LIVES!!"           COLORADO DREAMS             |     Daddy to be

david.megginson@canremote.uucp (DAVID MEGGINSON) (08/13/89)

I have read that the ST is the best selling personal computer in free
Europe (an archaic term at best), and in England specifically, it is
second in sales to Amstrad.

In North America the largest user base is probably around Toronto.  A
Timeworks sales rep told me that they sell more software in Eastern
Canada for the ST than in all of the US.  Remember that we have a tenth
of the US population...

Forget about the US market.  They are still debating whether the mouse
is a good thing or whether real men should use line interfaces.  I'm
surprised that they use a crutch like the keyboard, instead of punch
cards or dipswitches!

Software companies have told me that it is better to deal with Atari
Canada than Atari US for help in North America, so tell your friend to
give Atari Canada a call (I think it's in Markham, Ontario).
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.0R

obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Mark O'Bryan) (08/15/89)

In article <747@greens.UUCP>, allegro@sunpix.UUCP ( SunVis) writes:

>   Does anyone have an idea how many ST's & MEGA's have been sold in N.A.
>  and Europe as well as Asia ect.

According to Sam Tramiel in a recent issue of STart magazine, there are
almost 1.5 million worldwide, and almost 200,000 in the U.S.  I don't
know how close "almost" means, but this is what he reported.

Beyond just the raw numbers, however, you'll want to consider what seg-
ment of the potential market is going to be interested in your product.
This is almost never close to 100%, usually much, much less.

--
Mark T. O'Bryan                 Internet:  obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (08/17/89)

In article <822@gumby.cc.wmich.edu>, obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Mark O'Bryan) writes:

> According to Sam Tramiel in a recent issue of STart magazine, there are
> almost 1.5 million worldwide, and almost 200,000 in the U.S.  I don't
> know how close "almost" means, but this is what he reported.
> --
> Mark T. O'Bryan                 Internet:  obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
> Western Michigan University
> Kalamazoo, MI  49008

	In the same interview ST said that the Stacy and the Portfolio would
be available by the end of June. But, good old Sam didn't say which June!!
And as this is the end of August already, Sam must have meant that they would
be out by 1990 or maybe 1991.

	So, I don't believe anything that the Tramiels @Atari say, either
publicly or privately. I think the Tramiels get a big kick out of announcing
vaporware!! My local Atari store has NO idea of when the new Atari hardware
will be available, but they don't expect to see anything before Christmas!!
And that includes TOS 1.4 as well!!

	So, I don't believe that Atari has sold 1.5 million STs world wide.
Unless you include those stripped down 520STs (you know 1/m of RAM, no monitor,
etc.) that Atari just tried (unsuccessfully) to dump through the Price Club
stores.

rec

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (08/18/89)

Stephen McKay Matson writes:

> Does anyone have an idea how many ST's & MEGA's have been sold in N.A.
> and Europe as well as Asia ect.

    September '89 issue of STart has an interview with Sam Tramiel in
which he states:

"We don't give country-by-country numbers.  Obviously, we've been shipping
more than the lion's share outside the United States, especially since
late 1987 and 1988.  Around the world now I'm guess that it's approaching
one-and-a-half-million machines."

Larry Rymal in East Texas <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>