[comp.sys.atari.st] Alt. ST box

allegro@sunpix.UUCP ( SunVis) (07/27/89)

 Are there any alternate style cases to put a 520/1040 ST in so it has a
 detached keyboard? I'm getting a little tired of the 'all in one' style
 box.
--
uucp: mcnc!rti!sunpix!steve or mcnc!rti!sunpix!allegro |Stephen McKay Matson
 "FRODO LIVES!!"           COLORADO DREAMS             |     Daddy to be

kelly@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Sean Kelly) (07/29/89)

In article <725@greens.UUCP> allegro@sunpix.UUCP ( SunVis) writes:

> Are there any alternate style cases to put a 520/1040 ST in so it has a
> detached keyboard? I'm getting a little tired of the 'all in one' style
> box. [...]

I'm starting to get desparate myself!   I'm almost ready to go out and
get a cardboard box, some wires, and a cooling fan (that 1040ST internal
drive gets HOT sitting over those chips!), and separate my keyboard
from the rest of the computer.

There are real advantages to having a separate box to hold all the
important stuff, notably the fact the cables are easier to hide.  Also,
moving the 1040 around bends, wears, and tears the eight (eight!!!) cables
coming out of back and side.  It'd be terribly convenient to have both floppy
drives sitting right next to each other.

The only problem is that a cardboard box that says `Jim Beam' on the
side doesn't seem to make a high-impact power-computing statement.

So, has anyone produced a really nice alternate case for our
beloved system?

--
kelly (sean)                      `What is the wasting?'
kelly@nmtsun.nmt.edu              `The wasting is ... the wasting!'

bro@titan.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) (08/22/89)

Tech Specialties in Houston offers a CPU case that moves the motherboard,
floppies, and hard drive(s) into an AT or tower type case, and puts the
original keyboard into a modified (smaller) case connected by cable to the
CPU. I don't have info on price or Tech Specialties' address, but they
have adds in Computer Shopper last I checked, and I saw a CPU case at
the World of Atari show in Dallas.

Doug Monk (bro@rice.edu)

Disclaimer: These views are mine, not necessarily my organization's.