[comp.sys.atari.st] Help with drive "no write" please!

JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET (J.J. Lehett) (08/22/89)

     I am experiencing a rather horrible problem right now... my drive -
a single sided on, does not seem to have the ability to write to disks
anymore, although it reads them fine... I can't even format a new disk
properly.... as much as I can tell it is not a virus... I have used
"clean disks" and the same problem occured.... I had this problem once
before, but I can't remember how I fixed it, I just messed around with
placement of equipment, pushed chips down and such, and within a day of
fooling around like that - it worked again.... but I can't get it to this
time... does anyone have any ideas or was faced with a similiar problem
and knows a fix?
-------

*   J.J. Lehett              Bitnet address:   JJL101@PSUVM        *
*        a.k.a. Scux                                               *

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (08/23/89)

In article <89233.223248JJL101@PSUVM> JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET (J.J. Lehett) writes:

>     I am experiencing a rather horrible problem right now... my drive -
>a single sided on, does not seem to have the ability to write to disks
>anymore, although it reads them fine... I can't even format a new disk
>properly.... as much as I can tell it is not a virus... I have used
>"clean disks" and the same problem occured.... I had this problem once
>before, but I can't remember how I fixed it, I just messed around with
>placement of equipment, pushed chips down and such, and within a day of
>fooling around like that - it worked again.... but I can't get it to this
>time... does anyone have any ideas or was faced with a similiar problem
>and knows a fix?
>-------

Sounds as if your drive cable has a broken wire in it.  If your drive is
external, try borrowing a cable that you KNOW works, and try the drive.
If the drive was going bad, I would imagine you would have equal
problems trying to read the disk too.

You could also check the continuity of the wire (pin 11) and see if it
does indeed have a break in it.  Move the cable around as you do this.
If you get varying readings, then it is broken and you would probably
want a new cable.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Do unto others........then run.                     | 3) Coke Classic