[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari GEM/VDI programming

chrisl@Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK (Chris Parkin Lilley) (08/15/89)

Hello AtariLand,

I am about to embark on the writing of a fairly major piece of programming on
a 1040 ST with Mark Williams C (I think). I am writing a windowing application
which will also have to gather data from the ST serial port.

Can anyone recommend
	a) a good introductory text on programming, particularly the serial
  	   interface and the windowing features,

	b) a good reference work for the same features

Thanx in advance,

	Chris Parkin Lilley

tim@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Tim Northrup) (08/17/89)

chrisl@Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK (Chris Parkin Lilley) writes:
>Can anyone recommend
>	a) a good introductory text on programming, particularly the serial
>  	   interface and the windowing features,
>
>	b) a good reference work for the same features

Compute! Publications has a 3 volume set available on programming the
Atari ST.  I think as a set they provide a pretty decent introduction
to using GEM/VDI/TOS on the ST.  The books are divided into VDI, AES
and TOS.  Each has a good index to all functions contained, with
descriptions of each in Assembler as well as the C binding.  The
official titles are something like:

	Atari ST Technical Reference: Volume 1 - VDI
	Atari ST Technical Reference: Volume 2 - AES
	Atari ST Technical Reference: Volume 3 - TOS

They cost about $25 each and can be orderd by calling 800-346-6767
(they will answer as "Chilton's", but they publish Compute! books now).

[ I have no connection with Compute! Publications, other than as a
  satisfied customer (did I really need to say that?) ]

								-- Tim
--
Tim Northrup      		  +------------------------------------------+
+---------------------------------+         GEnie:  T.Northrup               |

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (08/22/89)

In article <243@cat.Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK>, chrisl@Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK (Chris Parkin Lilley) writes:
> Hello AtariLand,
>
> I am about to embark on the writing of a fairly major piece of programming on
> a 1040 ST with Mark Williams C (I think). I am writing a windowing application
> which will also have to gather data from the ST serial port.
>
> Can anyone recommend
> 	b) a good reference work for the same features

	Since you are using the Mark Williams Compiler, why don't you send in
for the update to version 3.09, and ask about the offer on their source code to
their libraries?? I know that MWC has a limited time offer where you can buy a
nifty little 'bc' calculator and get the source code to their libraies for
only $89.95. A really good deal if you use MWC-C.

rec
	:wq

david.megginson@canremote.uucp (DAVID MEGGINSON) (08/23/89)

To learn about windowing, try the PROGEM series of tutorials on your
friendly local BBS.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.01R