[comp.sys.atari.st] ATARI ST QUESTIONS

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (06/19/89)

in article <8906180043.AA10340@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>,
ia4@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Imran Anwar) says:
> - The other thing I need is Mac compatibility. I am not really
> interested in games but am told that under MAC emulation I will
> DEFINITELY need a Hard Drive. True?

	The Spectre 128 (or GCR) work just fine without a hard disk but
you will probably want one if you are going to do any serious work.  The
Mac stores a lot of system data (fonts, desk accessories, printer
drivers, etc.) in the System file which can get rather large (well over
1 megabyte).  The minimum I'd recommend is two double sided floppies and
a meg of RAM.

> - I am also told that one has to experiment a great deal before getting
> the right combination of ST version, Hard Disk, Finder, System etc. Any
> guidance will be appreciated.

	There really is no need to experiment, just use the software
that Gadgets by Small recommends.  Most of the people who say they had
to experiment in order to get things to work are (or were) trying to
use either the very oldest System software or the newer System software
with the 64K ROMs.  The new System and Finder releases no longer
included support for the 64K ROMs.

	The current version of the Spectre doesn't work with the very
old Systems and Finders, it works just fine with the newer ones.  (NOTE:
System 6.0.3 (the latest) doesn't work, but then System 6.0.3 seems to
be somewhat buggy even on real Macs.)

	The Spectre works with all STs (520s, 1040s and Megas) and with
all but one ST hard disk (Haba's don't work, but they haven't been sold
in about 3 years).

> - Same question about Apple peripherals used with Spectre GCR?

	The only Apple peripheral that work with the Spectre is the
Apple Imagewriter printer.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM

ia4@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Imran Anwar) (07/22/89)

		ATARI QUESTIONS

I need answers to the following questions. Any and all input is appreciated!

I have been using an ST 520 (external 360K) with color. I am now planning to upgrade.

I checked around and am interested in the MEGA 2 when I can afford it and either a 520 or 1040 in the meantime.

- The MEGA is supposed to have the blitter, but when I tried it at J&R Music World in NY I could not notice a difference in speed of graphics with or without the blitter turned on. Could you please enlighten me as to the benefits of the blitter?

- I hear a lot about the TOS 1.4. Just what will be the real advantages it will offer and would it be worth waiting for machines with TOS 1.4 built in?

- With my 520 I used PC-Ditto and was very satisfied despite the slowness.... to me it was nothing short of magic. But I need a more powerful computer for my MBA studies. I would like that to be the MEGA but I need to scan in documents and run OCR software to save time on retyping. Under PC-Ditto will IBM type scanners (that I can borrow) work?

- The other thing I need is Mac compatibility. I am not really interested in games but am told that under MAC emulation I will DEFINITELY need a Hard Drive. True?

- I am also told that one has to experiment a great deal before getting the right combination of ST version, Hard Disk, Finder, System etc. Any guidance will be appreciated.

- Same question about Apple peripherals used with Spectre GCR?

- I remember reading somewhere about a SONY TV/monitor that runs all three ST resolutions... I think it was a KV-1311RC. I have asked around in NY but no one seems to know about this. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

- Is it possible to use the Atari ST as a fax machine as PCs can be used, or, alternatively, can such PC devices be used under PC-Ditto?

I would be obliged if everyone, someone, anyone would help me!!!!

Thanks

Imran Anwar, Columbia Business School, NY, NY.

david.megginson@canremote.uucp (DAVID MEGGINSON) (08/07/89)

Using a beta copy of TOS 1.4, it took about 5 minutes to copy a
partition file-by-file on my hard drive.  It took about a half hour on
the old (mega) TOS.  Programs pop up on the screen instantly.  Many
small, annoying bugs like the 40-folder limit are also gone, so you can
basically empty your auto folder.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.01R

wsinpvb@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (p.v.bemmelen) (08/23/89)

Hello
I bought an 520 STFM today (!) and have a few questions.
1. what is the best C compiler which is turboC compatible (or ansi-c)
   compatible ? I want to use it to program games, mainly conversions
2. What utilities shall I put on my bootdisk ? I am a total novice, I
   wouldn't know what ...
3. Anybody got some textfiles about the ST, like a memory map, how the
   graphics modes work etc ??

Greetings

Peter

george_seto@brains.UUCP (George Seto) (08/23/89)

Re: Atari ST Questions:

 P.v.bemmelen@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl

  1 - If you are in Europe, the Turbo C is available there. German Docs. The
only ANSI compatible C is Prospero C. I saw an ad that said there was a new C
in England which has ANSI compatible libraries, from Digital Wisdom in
Glasgow. Mark Williams C is supposed to be quite Unix C compatible, but
apparently does some funny things with the executables. Lattice C is
available for the ST and many other systems.
 2 - As far as utilities, it will depend on what you want to do. With 512K
you will have to be careful to pick useful programs. There are various
utilities doing so many different things.
 3 - Not sure, check your local ST BBS for that. Haven't seen much on Usenet
here of that sort of thing.

  Welcome to the fold. Where are you located? Also what monitor do you use?
--
   -===------===-    From George Seto at Cerebral Cortex BBS System
  -==-==----==-==-   (902)462-7245 3/12/2400 8N1 24h/7d

roland@cochise (08/24/89)

wsinpvb@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (p.v.bemmelen) writes:
>I bought an 520 STFM today (!) and have a few questions.

Congratulations ...

>1. what is the best C compiler which is turboC compatible (or ansi-c)
>   compatible ?

Turbo C ST from Heimsoeth & Borland. Get Version 1.10 !

( Fast, cheap, ansi, turbo-compatible ( of course ), complete, ... )
The 'small' package without assembler + debugger will probably do.

>2. What utilities shall I put on my bootdisk ? I am a total novice, I
>   wouldn't know what ...

I would recommend for the AUTO folder:
 - a program to set the time at bootup ( unless you have a battery clock ),
 - a reset-proof ramdisk ( like 'eternal' )
 - a 'value-added' fileselect-box ( unless you have TOS 1.4 )
and possibly some accessories:
 - the control.acc
 - maybe a simple shell-accessory
 - a paging accessory to brouse textfiles ( I use 'look' )
( the last one could