[comp.sys.atari.st] UUCP implementations for the ST

steve@thelake (Steve Yelvington) (08/26/89)

Several people have asked questions about UUCP implementations for the ST.
I've seen suggestions that there aren't any. That's simply not true. Here
is a list of the ones I know of:

UUMAIL -- public domain, by Dale Schumacher (dal@syntel), currently being
	upgraded by John Stanley (john@dynasoft). One program combines
	uucico, uuxqt and rmail functions; it execs your favorite editor
	to write and your favorite pager to read mail. Up to 26 nodes are
	supported (I think). A routing (pathalias) table is supported.
	Real news isn't currently supported (there is a pseudonews feature),
	but is being added. I use UUMAIL here at thelake and just wrote
	news batcher and unbatcher programs that have yet to be tested.

STadel/UUCALL -- This BBS software has its own form of networking, but
	with external UUCALL, RNEWS and INEWS programs, it can poll a
	UUCP site for news and mail. Note: I've had some troubles with
	UUCALL and haven't been able to contact the author, so
	tacook@moundst and I have been running STadel systems with UUMAIL
	as the UUCP transport mechanism. By setting up a modified UUMAIL as an
	automatic login door, the STadel can support incoming UUCP calls.
	(STadel has a "paranoid mode" login prompt that looks like Unix.)
	STadel is shareware, but the author (David Parsons) has dropped off
	the planet. Incidentally, STadel's mail is compatible with UUCP
	routing, so the networks have the appearance of being contiguous.

MAILTRUK -- public domain, by John Logajan (logajan@logajan.mn.org). This
	is a less sophisticated mail handler but it features 3-packet
	windowing G protocol. Amazingly, it's written in GFA BASIC.

Beckemeyer UUCP -- a commercial package from Beckemeyer Development
	Tools that is designed to work with Micro RTX/MT C-Shell,
	a multitasking package. Based on GNUUCP with a bunch of
	extensions and enhancements. Contact david@bdt.

UUCICO -- public domain by Clemens Schrimpe. I ran across an incomplete
	version on a New York BBS. The docs promised rmail, etc., RSN,
	but I haven't seen anything else.

UUPC -- The famous PC implementation of UUCP supposedly is available for
	the ST, but I have yet to see a complete, functioning version of
	it. Partial versions of the sources show up almost everywhere and
	there's always just one more header file needed .... if anybody
	has a working UUPC site on the Atari ST, please contact me.

UUSLAVE -- A limited UUCP implementation. I don't know of a site that
	currently uses it.

Corrections/updates/additions to this list are welcome.

Also, if you're an STadel sysop and your BBS is connected to Usenet,
please send me a note.

      Steve Yelvington, up at the lake in Minnesota
  ... pwcs.StPaul.GOV!stag!thelake!steve             (Usenet)
  ... {playgrnd,moundst,class68}!thelake!steve       (Citadel)

orc@pell.uucp (david parsons) (08/27/89)

On 26 Aug 89 15:51:27 GMT, steve@thelake (Steve Yelvington) wrote:

>STadel/UUCALL -- This BBS software has its own form of networking, but
>	with external UUCALL, RNEWS and INEWS programs, it can poll a
>	UUCP site for news and mail. Note: I've had some troubles with
>	UUCALL and haven't been able to contact the author

  Problems?  I'm contactable, but through a fairly roundabout fashion
(my net connection is news only) - a friend of mine at Bell Labs will
forward mail to me if you send it to him (att!tainter.)  I'd be
keen on seeing bug reports for uucall, so I can clean it up.

  In case anyone's interested, I've been lurking while working on the
multitasking version of stadel (which is working now, albeit in a
sadly incomplete form.)  Given a few months and a multitasker (currently
an older version of mx2, but possibly minix) and that's what stadel
will become.

    -david parsons
#! rnews 2897
Newsgr