[comp.sys.atari.st] Program Speedup

clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) (08/21/89)

I am currently working on an assembly-language program that takes
quite a while to run (*weeks* to *months*).  Does anyone have any
good ideas or pointers to books and/or articles which would help me
to speed it up?  Are there speed upgrades for the Atari ST available?
No floating point operations are involved.

Also, what happened to ssyx.ucsc.edu?  I tried an anonymous ftp
there to pick up a copy of the MJ C compiler, but apparently Atari
PD programs are no longer archived there.  Is there somewhere else
that I could pick up a copy of it?
--
Chris Long, 272 Hamilton St. Apt. 1, New Brunswick NJ  08901  (201) 846-5569

"It has no normal subgroups" was Tom's simple observation.

terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (TerrellE) (08/22/89)

In article <Aug.20.23.18.49.1989.19322@topaz.rutgers.edu>, clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) writes:

> I am currently working on an assembly-language program that takes
> quite a while to run (*weeks* to *months*).  Does anyone have any
> good ideas or pointers to books and/or articles which would help me
> to speed it up?  Are there speed upgrades for the Atari ST available?
> No floating point operations are involved.
>
> Chris Long, 272 Hamilton St. Apt. 1, New Brunswick NJ  08901  (201) 846-5569

What is the problem that you're solving???  There are a host of machine-
independent programming techniques that you should investigate before/
in addition to any hardware mods to your computer...

So tell us about your program!  Inquiring Minds Want To Know!

Terrell	(att!druhi!terrell)

clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) (08/27/89)

  Chris Long writes:

> > I am currently working on an assembly-language program that takes
> > quite a while to run (*weeks* to *months*).  Does anyone have any
> > good ideas or pointers to books and/or articles which would help me
> > to speed it up?  Are there speed upgrades for the Atari ST available?
> > No floating point operations are involved.

> What is the problem that you're solving???  There are a host of machine-
> independent programming techniques that you should investigate before/
> in addition to any hardware mods to your computer...

> So tell us about your program!  Inquiring Minds Want To Know!

Ah!  So you want to know what the mad scientist is cooking up?  I'm
working on good heuristic techniques for solving extremely large
integer programming (IP) and binary integer programming (BIP) problems.
Although some good techniques already exist, e.g. cutting planes for
the former, branch and bound for the latter, they do not take into
account possible special structures of a given problem.  What I
am doing is testing out some ideas I have for speeding up certain
classes of these problems.

BTW, I'd like to thank everyone who responded.  The responses ranged
from a humorous "Get a Cray!" to people who said that they'd be
willing to actually take a peak at the code.  I've already
implemented a few of the suggestions, and I've discovered some
other speed improvements.
--
Chris Long, 272 Hamilton St. Apt. 1, New Brunswick NJ  08901  (201) 846-5569

"Knights before Bishops, except after e."