[comp.sys.atari.st] uupc ?

hans@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Hans Buurman) (08/19/89)

I want to set up an e-mail connection between the university and
home. From hp4nl I picked up a source called uupc, however, I don't
know how to proceed:

From the doc's, I don't know exactly how to build it, and
I do not have the C-compiler mentioned in the README (alcyon).

Is there anybody out there who has an executable ?

	Hans

Apologies if this has been discussed last month: I don't always have the
time to read to read this group.
Hans Buurman                   | hans@duttnph.tudelft.nl
Pattern Recognition Group      | hans@duttnph.UUCP
Faculty of Applied Physics     | mcvax!hp4nl!dutrun!duttnph!hans
Delft University of Technology | tel. 31 - (0) 15 - 78 46 94

marc@pbinfo.UUCP (Marc Gumbold) (08/24/89)

In article <858@dutrun.UUCP> hans@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Hans Buurman) writes:

  I want to set up an e-mail connection between the university and
  home. From hp4nl I picked up a source called uupc, however, I don't
  know how to proceed:

  From the doc's, I don't know exactly how to build it, and
  I do not have the C-compiler mentioned in the README (alcyon).

  Is there anybody out there who has an executable ?

A long time ago Stephen Grimm started porting UUPC from the PC world to the ST.
As many people were very interested in that, he posted an uncompleted version
of UUPC/ST. When I scanned my disk boxes these days I found that version, and
tried to compile and install it. It's not yet fully done, but as I haven't got
that much time in the moment, I would very much like to know whether Stephen
Grimm completed his work in the meantime. So I'd like to add my question to
that of Hans:
	"Is there a running version of UUPC for the ST somewhere?"

If so, where can I get it? (I've got no FTP access (we're in Germany...))

Thanx for any answer,

Marc

	Marc Gumbold				Universitaet-GH Paderborn
						FB 17i (CS Department)
	OLD   : marc@pbinfo.uucp		Warburger Str. 100
	BANG  : ...!uunet!unido!pbinfo!marc	Paderborn, West Germany
	EUROPE: marc@pbinfo.uni-paderborn.de	+49 5251 603803

koreth@panarthea.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (08/26/89)

In article <610@corona.pb> marc@pbinfo.UUCP (Marc Gumbold) writes:
>A long time ago Stephen Grimm started porting UUPC from the PC world to the ST.

Actually I took a version that was supposedly already ported to the ST,
and made it work.  The version I started with was from uunet.

>It's not yet fully done, but as I haven't got
>that much time in the moment, I would very much like to know whether Stephen
>Grimm completed his work in the meantime.

Unfortunately, I never had the time to do much more with it either.

>"Is there a running version of UUPC for the ST somewhere?"

My version works well enough to transport news to the ST (in fact, I'm pretty
sure that the version I posted contained a very primitive "rnews" filter that
just put the news files in an "incoming news" directory for later processing)
and mail works fine too.  It's not the most reliable beast in the world, but
it's not too bad.

>If so, where can I get it? (I've got no FTP access (we're in Germany...))

For those who don't already have my program, send the word "help" to
archive-server%panarthea.ebay@sun.com for information about accessing the
comp.sources.atari.st archives.  (There is also a GFA-BASIC uucp package
called "MailTruk"...)

---
This message is a figment of your imagination.  Any opinions are yours.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
sgrimm@sun.com		...!sun!sgrimm

hans@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Hans Buurman) (08/28/89)

In article <610@corona.pb> marc@pbinfo.UUCP (Marc Gumbold) writes:
>So I'd like to add my question to
>that of Hans:
>	"Is there a running version of UUPC for the ST somewhere?"
>
>If so, where can I get it? (I've got no FTP access (we're in Germany...))

Well, we (Robert de Vries and me) found another set of sources, and have
something running now. After a couple of bugs have been fixed, we'll share
our results with the world.

In the meantime, executables have been reported by somebody in Canada, and
by someone at nikhefh.hep.nl (Amsterdam). I don't have full addresses here
now, but they are in my mbox. Thanks, guys !

	Hans