[comp.sys.atari.st] Composite monitor

ref0070@ritcv.UUCP (12/10/86)

Can Somebody send me directions for hooking up a Composite monitor
to my 520STm. (I have composite on pin 2 I think.) Is there something
special I need to do to get the sound to come out of the monitor, or
is that included in the composite signal ?  (I can get I color composite
monitor for $75).

If you think others would be interested in this info, you could post
your reply.

Thanks,

Bob Fortin
{allegra seismo decvax}!rochester!ref0070

nims@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Nims) (08/29/89)

This is for bode@mead.UUCP <-- The mail bounced.

To:       bode@mead.UUCP

To: bode@mead.UUCP
Subject: Re: Using a composite monitor
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st

Wow, I didn't know they made any 1040's with an RF-modulator. Anyway,
if you do indeed have an ST with a built in RF-modulator, then you
already have the circuitry for composit built in. One of the pins on
the monitor port is designated as composite video out if you have an
RF mod. If you don't want to deal with making your own cable, etc,
then you can buy something like Practical Soln's Monitor Master. It
has a composite & audio out RCA jacks on it. If you're into playing
with hardware, I'd just open the case & solder in 2 wires to the
aprop. pins on the pc-board.

-Chris Nims
nims@accuvax.nwu.edu

mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu (Michael Baffoni) (08/29/89)

In article <1098@accuvax.nwu.edu> nims@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Nims) writes:

                      [header deleted]

>Wow, I didn't know they made any 1040's with an RF-modulator. Anyway,
>if you do indeed have an ST with a built in RF-modulator, then you
>already have the circuitry for composit built in. One of the pins on
>the monitor port is designated as composite video out if you have an
>RF mod. If you don't want to deal with making your own cable, etc,
>then you can buy something like Practical Soln's Monitor Master. It
>has a composite & audio out RCA jacks on it. If you're into playing
>with hardware, I'd just open the case & solder in 2 wires to the
>aprop. pins on the pc-board.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>-Chris Nims
>nims@accuvax.nwu.edu

   Hey, would anybody happen to have the pin-outs for this?  Or is it just
so obvious that just one look and, hey there it is....?
   Also, don't you have to worry about attenuating the signal from this
port - I think I remember an earlier discussion (about Sony monitors) where
their input levels are not quite the same as the output from the ST?  Or is
it entirely case dependent upon the type of monitor you are hooking it to?

Mike
   mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu  (going away soon...)l (looking for something
or mbaffoni@castor.usc.edu                    l intelligent and witty?
or baffoni@aludra.usc.edu                     l Go look in the Mens Room...)
Fencing is like some relationships... you think you're doing fine until
Binnnnggg.... you get knocked in the head (or more somewhere more vulnerable)
and there you are, flat on your arse....

obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Mark O'Bryan) (08/30/89)

In article <19540@usc.edu>, mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu (Michael Baffoni) writes:

>    Also, don't you have to worry about attenuating the signal from this
> port - I think I remember an earlier discussion (about Sony monitors) where
> their input levels are not quite the same as the output from the ST?  Or is
> it entirely case dependent upon the type of monitor you are hooking it to?

Nope, the composite levels are just fine.  It's the RGB levels that are too
hot for the Sony monitors.

--
Mark T. O'Bryan                 Internet:  obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University