[comp.sys.atari.st] i need a program to backup large files

teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Gunnar Teege) (08/25/89)

Hi,
does anybody know a program to backup files on floppy that are
larger than a single floppy (so the file has to be split and put on
several floppys). It should be fast (of course). I have turtle 3.0
but it can't do that.

Thanx in advance

Gunnar Teege   Inst. fuer Informatik, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
               PO-Box 202420, 8000 Muenchen 2,  West-Germany
teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de        +49 89 2105 8179
teege%lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de@{unido.uucp,relay.cs.net,unido.bitnet}

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (08/28/89)

In article <749@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Gunnar Teege) writes:
>Hi,
>does anybody know a program to backup files on floppy that are
>larger than a single floppy (so the file has to be split and put on
>several floppys). It should be fast (of course). I have turtle 3.0
>but it can't do that.

When I released Turtle 3.00, I did not include Terrapin, since it
hadn't changed from the prior release of Turtle. I thought I had
provided it in a separate archive, though.

Terrapin will back up and restore files of unlimited size to and
from floppy disks. If it never made it to the binaries group and
the archives, let me know, and I'll send it off to the binaries
group again.
--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA

teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Gunnar Teege) (08/30/89)

Thanks to all who mailed to me and pointed out that terrapin of the
turtle distribution does what I want. It was not mentioned in the
turtle doc's and the name did not sound very promising. But it IS
included in the turtle 3.0 package distributed in the binaries
group together with documentation. Sorry for my impatience.