[comp.sys.atari.st] News from PC MAGAZINE Editor's Day

Matthew_Eric_Seitz@cup.portal.com (08/21/89)

Last Thursday, I was at the PC MAGAZINE Editor's Day.  Much to my suprise,
Atari was there, too.  It wasn't a big showing, they just had a table, no
signs, a couple Portfolios, and some Atari people.  However, one of those
people was Sig Hartman, so I pumped him for a little information.

He told me the ST-E was available as of last week.  He didn't give me specs,
but said it had more colors and stereo sound, and was compatible with the
SC1224 monitor.  Since my roommate is a registered developer, I called on
Atari on his behalf.  Unfortunately, Gale Johnson, the new Developer's
Coordinator, knew nothing about the ST-E.  I'll be checking in next week to
see if there's any more info.

Mr. Hartman also said that the TT would be shipping 4th quarter '89, probably
late 4th quarter.  He mentioned that it will have the ability to support
multiple users running GEM programs, using STs as terminals.
By the way, you may have seen an article on Moses Computers and the PromiseLAN
network in ST-LOG a while back.  As an employee of Moses, I can tell you it
was more wrong than right.  As soon as I can find out how much info I can
tell, and if there's any interest, I will pass it along.

				-Matthew Seitz

Matthew_Eric_Seitz@cup.portal.com (08/23/89)

I should have said that Mr. Hartman told me the STE was available to
developer's now.  Commercial release will come a little later.

				-Matthew Seitz
				Matthew_Eric_Seitz@cum.portal.com

atc@max.bnl.gov (Andrew Como) (08/26/89)

(asbestos suit)

	DON'T....

	Just don't even waste your time speaking to Gail Johnson at ATARI.
How the heck could ATARI replace Cindy Calveran with such an incompetent??!!

	The woman is supposed to be the Developer Coordinator and she doesn't
know the difference between a CPU and a disk drive.

	I apologize, I usually don't gripe over USENET but in this case I
hope someone at ATARI is reading.  If my company hadn't invested in finishing
it's product on the ST, I'd drop the machine in an instant.  The support
and overally coordination of the company is miserable.

	Developers need somone at ATARI for support.  Leaving them to fend for
themselves is assanine politics, since the developers are the people who
keep your product alive.

(flame off)

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (08/28/89)

In article <1430@bnlux0.bnl.gov>, atc@max.bnl.gov (Andrew Como) writes:

> 	Just don't even waste your time speaking to Gail Johnson at ATARI.
> How the heck could ATARI replace Cindy Calveran with such an incompetent??!!
>
> 	The woman is supposed to be the Developer Coordinator and she doesn't
> know the difference between a CPU and a disk drive.

Hey, Gail straigned out my developer status just great.  I don't think
she expects to be a 'competent developer interface' with application
answers.  More likely a filter to get your questions to the right place.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (08/31/89)

In article <1430@bnlux0.bnl.gov>, atc@max.bnl.gov (Andrew Como) writes:
> (asbestos suit)
>
> 	DON'T....
>
> 	Just don't even waste your time speaking to Gail Johnson at ATARI.
> How the heck could ATARI replace Cindy Calveran with such an incompetent??!!

	Andrew, just what did Gail Johnson at Atari do to make you so mad??
I know that Atari makes us all mad at one time or the other, but what, specifically,
did Gail do this time??

Personally, I am mad about what I read on comp.sys.atari.st from Germany. It seems
that Atari has shown the new 68030 TT machine there and some guy really trashed it.
It seems that it uses only 24 address bits and only 16 data bits, while the VME
buss uses a full 32 address/32 data bits. So, once again, Atari has tried to lock
their customers into a propretiary buss. Well, Apple Corp has tried that with their
Mac IIx NuBuss, and seems to have gotten away with it. But, Atari Corp ain't
Apple Corp and it isn't bloody likely that we will EVER see any TT/VME buss
boards. Just the same as the lack of MEGA ST buss boards, after 2 years, there
ain't none.
	If I ever buy a 68030 machine it will ever be a NeXT or a Mac IIx.
I just don't have faith in Atari Corp to do anything right anymore. But, Atari
still makes great game machines (:-().

just a few thoughts.. I still like programming with MArk Williams C. It is
a fine product.

rec

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) (08/31/89)

In article <455823d1.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>In article <1430@bnlux0.bnl.gov>, atc@max.bnl.gov (Andrew Como) writes:
>> (asbestos suit)
>Mac IIx NuBuss, and seems to have gotten away with it. But, Atari Corp ain't
>pple Corp and it isn't bloody likely that we will EVER see any TT/VME buss
>boards. Just the same as the lack of MEGA ST buss boards, after 2 years, there

   Just a 'picky point', NuBus isn't proprietary, it's from TI.  Notice that
the NeXT uses it also.  I've seen a few other systems that have it too, but
nothing else really mainstream....

--
  "Life is just a popularity contest, and I didn't get my entry in on time."
                                                 -David L. Newton

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (09/01/89)

In article <455823d1.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>Personally, I am mad about what I read on comp.sys.atari.st from Germany. It seems
>that Atari has shown the new 68030 TT machine there and some guy really trashed it.
>It seems that it uses only 24 address bits and only 16 data bits, while the VME
>buss uses a full 32 address/32 data bits. So, once again, Atari has tried to lock
>their customers into a propretiary buss.

Nonsens. VME is, was, will be an 68000 bus. That is 24 bit adress and 16
bit data.
There is an enhanced VME bus (32/32) but even this one does not run at
MHz. It is impossible to charge/discharge the input capacities of the
bus buffers over long bus lines (inductive resistance) at high speeds.

The VME bus was (almost) never used for memory expansions. It is for
(fast) I/O (thats my point of view).

There are hundreds of VME cards availeble (probably more in Europe,
since the VME Bus was an European idea). We'll see, wich will run, but
probably most of them.

In fact, I would like to have VME/VMS/VMX bus in my home machine. But
they are far to expensive for me :-(

 Well, Apple Corp has tried that with their
>Mac IIx NuBuss, and seems to have gotten away with it. But, Atari Corp ain't
>Apple Corp and it isn't bloody likely that we will EVER see any TT/VME buss
>boards. Just the same as the lack of MEGA ST buss boards, after 2 years, there
>ain't none.

The NuBus is is pretty new (compared to VME). Wait a little longer; it
is not trivial for the hardware engeneer to handle a bus, that is
supposed to support multiple processors (bus arbiting).

>	If I ever buy a 68030 machine it will ever be a NeXT or a Mac IIx.
>I just don't have faith in Atari Corp to do anything right anymore. But, Atari
>still makes great game machines (:-().

Do it. I'll probably wait for Dave Small to emulate it with the TT :-)

Hello Atari: what about Unix on the TT? It is the ideal machine (MMU,
speedy, intelligent I/O (with VME serial cards...)).

Mr. L. Tramiel said "We are wrking on the port."

How long will it take, and what will it be? SYS VR4?

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
Dennis had stepped up into the top seat whet its founder had died of a