[comp.sys.atari.st] MORE on SEAGATE 296N and ALSO UPGRADE

jtang@orion.cf.uci.edu ( James ) (08/25/89)

Hi,

I call SEAGATE people again and I was told that there is this company that
will upgrade your 296N w/ Rev 8 ROM to either 7 or 12 (for a fee).
This company is "On-Track"  (612) 937-1107

Also, when Luski (Seagate dist.) was going to order a drive with ROM 7 or 12
for me when the people at SEAGATE told them that there is no such thing,
however, there are CODE 106, CODE 107, and CODE 130 for the ST 296N.

Hmmmm... what's going on??  When I call, the sales at So. Cal. told me that
there was such thing as ROM 7, 8, and 12.  And when I call back and ask
about the 106, 107, and 130, she didn't know anything about that???
How could this be possible??  While one department knows CODE 106, 107 and 130
and the other know about ROM 7, 8, and 12.

Any comment???

James

Usenet:  jtang@orion.cf.uci.edu
Bitnet:  JWTang@UCIVMSA.BITNET

humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU (Mark Frost) (08/25/89)

In article <2560@orion.cf.uci.edu> jtang@orion.cf.uci.edu (   James   ) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I call SEAGATE people again and I was told that there is this company that
>will upgrade your 296N w/ Rev 8 ROM to either 7 or 12 (for a fee).
>This company is "On-Track"  (612) 937-1107

I own an ST296N with Rev 8 ROM. I called Seagate and they had no suggestions
for me. When I saw this "upgrade" I thought I'd finally found the solution.
Unfortunately, I called this company and they told me that they don't handle
anything like this. They don't deal with hard disks or ROMS or anything. They
just make software for the PC.

Bummer...

Maybe someday Seagate will cleanup (or go under)

Mark Frost
	Office of the the Computing Coordinator
	Humanities Division
	University of California at Santa Cruz
	(408) 429-4603
Internet: humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU
Bitnet: humtech@ucschu.bitnet
Uucp: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucschu!humtech

obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Mark O'Bryan) (09/01/89)

In article <8872@saturn.ucsc.edu>, humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU (Mark Frost) writes:
> In article <2560@orion.cf.uci.edu> jtang@orion.cf.uci.edu (   James   ) writes:
> >
> >I call SEAGATE people again and I was told that there is this company that
> >will upgrade your 296N w/ Rev 8 ROM to either 7 or 12 (for a fee).
> >This company is "On-Track"  (612) 937-1107
> >
> I own an ST296N with Rev 8 ROM. I called Seagate and they had no suggestions
> for me. When I saw this "upgrade" I thought I'd finally found the solution.
> Unfortunately, I called this company and they told me that they don't handle
> anything like this. They don't deal with hard disks or ROMS or anything. They
> just make software for the PC.
>
> Bummer...
>
> Maybe someday Seagate will cleanup (or go under)

Here's some information regarding the Seagate 296N ROM problems, courtesy
of a PC-based colleague of mine who's been suffering a similar fate.
Since I'm waffling between getting a Seagate and a Quantum, I haven't
acted on this information yet.  Hopefully, someone will find it useful.

From: bowden (Michael L. Bowden)
Subject: Re: The Latest on ROM 7
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 89 10:28:29 EDT

First: the person to talk to is Pam Swanson (at Seagate),
ph: 800-468-3472 ext 2.  She's a marvel at getting thru their
bureaucracy.

Second: the thing to do is (before ordering your drive) find out
the ROM revision number from the M.O. joint.  If they don't realize
that they can get newer ROMs, have them call Pam.

Third:  since I already have a 296N with rev. 8, I'll have to send
my drive back to HDI for a field upgrade.  (Backups here we come)
Ditto #2, if they don't know about this arrangement with Seagate.

--
Mark T. O'Bryan                 Internet:  obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (09/01/89)

In article <840@gumby.cc.wmich.edu> obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Mark O'Bryan) writes:
>In article <8872@saturn.ucsc.edu>, humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU (Mark Frost) writes:
>
>First: the person to talk to is Pam Swanson (at Seagate),
>ph: 800-468-3472 ext 2.  She's a marvel at getting thru their
>bureaucracy.
>
>Second: the thing to do is (before ordering your drive) find out
>the ROM revision number from the M.O. joint.  If they don't realize
>that they can get newer ROMs, have them call Pam.
>--
>Mark T. O'Bryan                 Internet:  obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu

I was told by several M.O. houses and by Seagate themselves that
there was NO guarrantee as to what ROM i would get when ordering
a drive.

Several houses maintained that it would be impossible
for them to specifically pick out a drive with
a specific code representing a specific ROM for a
specific person.

SO don't be disappointed if you ask for a ROM 7 or a
working revision (12?) and you get a ROM 8.
Just guys in the back room loading boxes.

-kevin