[comp.sys.atari.st] Megafile-30

perand@ttds.UUCP (Per Andersson) (08/30/89)

Hello Netlanders,

I just bought a Megafile-30 yesterday, and now I am getting curious. What
is really inside this box ? Can I put another drive inside it ? I am sure
I can put a bigger drive in the box. What physical size is the drive inside ?
Anyone with answers or pointers to good documentation please feel free to
mail or post your info. I'm sure others also want to know. ( The reason
I do not want to open it is my one-year warranty. )

Per Andersson
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
perand@admin.kth.se, @tds.kth.se, @nada.kth.se
or perhaps {backbone}!sunic!ttds!perand

--
Per Andersson
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
perand@admin.kth.se, @tds.kth.se, @nada.kth.se
or perhaps {backbone}!sunic!ttds!perand

f-leoe@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErik0sterud) (08/30/89)

One the SH 205 there was room enough for a second drive.
The controller card IS MADE for two drives !!!
You must only be aware of this two point:
1) You need a LOW POWER 2nd drive (or else they won't boot !!!)
2) You need the GERMAN EICKMANN HARDDISK DRIVER
   AHDI can't find the 2nd drive !!!

  Lars-Erik   /   ABK-BBS +47 2132659   /   ____ ______
   0sterud   /   larserio@ifi.uio.no   /   /___    /
____________/  _______________________/   ____/   /

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (09/02/89)

In article <1244@ttds.UUCP> perand@ttds.UUCP (Per Andersson) writes:
>I just bought a Megafile-30 yesterday, and now I am getting curious. What
>is really inside this box ? Can I put another drive inside it ?

The SH205 and Megafile 30s I've seen have a 5,25 inch drive inside (or a
3,5 inch drive with 5,25 mounting adaptor).

The SH205 can handle 2 drives. Just add a new power supply, cables and
one 20 pin connector (the pads are there, on the board, the data
connector for the second drive isnt...).

There is new software necessary to handle 2 drives. I think, the ICD
software will work with the SH205/Megafile.

The Megafile is essentially a SH205 modified to use RLL encoding instead
of MFM, but I have seen one Megafile 30 with an SCSI host adaptor and an
30 Meg SCSI mechanism.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
Dennis had stepped up into the top seat whet its founder had died of a

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (09/03/89)

I you want to use 2 drives in a SH205 the german Eickman HD-driver is ok too
It has the possibility to choose boot-device at startup...
Then you can have one AUTO on C: one on D: and so one...
If you boot C: you don't get ACC, boot D: for ACC and boot E: for GDOS
as an example of how you can do it....

  Lars-Erik   /   ABK-BBS +47 2132659   /   ____ ______
   Osterud   /   larserio@ifi.uio.no   /   /___    /