[comp.sys.atari.st] Amiga and ST Reliability

Mark.Johnson@metnet.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Johnson) (08/26/89)

Sounds like your store had a virus.

As for the Amiga's screen graphics: That's okay for DTV, but that it a
very limited focus of applications. I'm more interested in DTP, Power
spread sheets and databases and wordprocessors. Additionally if I
wanted to use a CLI I could go to work and clunk around on the Z248's
and laptops and PS/2's. I chose the desktop and prefer to use what I
paid for (how many Amiga users actually use the workbench?)

--
Mark Johnson - via FidoNet node 1:147/10
UUCP: ...!att!occrsh!uokmax!metnet!Mark.Johnson

kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) (08/27/89)

In article <65.24F67146@metnet.FIDONET.ORG> Mark.Johnson@metnet.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Johnson) writes:
>As for the Amiga's screen graphics: That's okay for DTV, but that it a
>very limited focus of applications. I'm more interested in DTP, Power
>spread sheets and databases and wordprocessors.

Well, the nice thing about the Amiga is that you can easily add things like
extra memory, faster CPUS, floating point coprocessors, and large monochrome
(1000x800) monitors.  This helps you to do DTP, spreadsheets, databases
and wordprocessing.  Multitasking is also useful here.

>Additionally if I
>wanted to use a CLI I could go to work and clunk around on the Z248's
>and laptops and PS/2's.

It's nice to have a choice though.

>I chose the desktop and prefer to use what I
>paid for (how many Amiga users actually use the workbench?)

Quite a few that I know.  And more will when 1.4 comes out (I've seen an
alpha release of 1.4 and it includes a substantially improved workbench).
You may criticize me for talking vapourware, but Commodore has delivered
OS upgrades 3 times in the past, and there is no reason to expect that they
won't come through this time.

>--
>Mark Johnson - via FidoNet node 1:147/10
>UUCP: ...!att!occrsh!uokmax!metnet!Mark.Johnson
>INTERNET: Mark.Johnson@metnet.FIDONET.ORG

Kevin Schlueter (kgschlueter@cgl.waterloo.edu)
Dept of Computer Science / Computer Graphics Lab
University of Waterloo

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (08/28/89)

In article <65.24F67146@metnet.FIDONET.ORG> Mark.Johnson@metnet.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Johnson) writes:
>Sounds like your store had a virus.
>
>As for the Amiga's screen graphics: That's okay for DTV, but that it a
>very limited focus of applications. I'm more interested in DTP, Power
>spread sheets and databases and wordprocessors. Additionally if I
>wanted to use a CLI I could go to work and clunk around on the Z248's
>and laptops and PS/2's. I chose the desktop and prefer to use what I
>paid for (how many Amiga users actually use the workbench?)

I'll put in my two cents about the ST's reliability.

I've had my 520ST for over 2 years now.  As I'm an incurable tinkerer,
I have had my ST open MANY times, and have hacked on it quite a bit.
Not ONCE has it gone down on me!  I've put in a memory upgrade, clock
chip, extra audio ports, key operated power switch, and have
disconnected/reconnected the RF port.  I've basically hammered this
machine (you can see the screw bottoms sticking up next to the
keyboard...I've opened it up ALOT).  It runs like a champ.

I've seen the Amiga 500.  If that isn't the ugliest piece of junk, I
don't know what is.  Who's idea was it to put the damn power switch on
the power supply?  Who wants the damn power supply sitting on the desk?
I sure don't.  PLUS, I hear these power supplies are quite marginal.
The huge AMIGA logo on the machine doesn't help either.

I'll stay with my low profile 520, thank you very much.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Call the ACORN BBS!  (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud   | 3) Coke Classic

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (08/29/89)

In article <16147@watdragon.waterloo.edu>
 kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) writes:

>Well, the nice thing about the Amiga is that you can easily add things like
>extra memory, faster CPUS, floating point coprocessors, and large monochrome
>(1000x800) monitors.

And that shouldn't be possible on the ST?
Extra memory? Why not buy it at once, as with the 1040ST (1Mb) or the Mega ST?
(2 or 4 Mb)
Faster CPUs exists to, there was some articles posted about this for a
month ago I think.
Floating point coprocessors isn't a problem either. Large screens is very
avaiable to. (for the A3 in 1:1 or something like that, with a resolution
of 1024*768 or even more, I don't know exactly. They are to expensive for
me.. :-)

Aeeghh... I'm sick'n'tired of this 'argumenting'.

--
  Daniel Deimert	   /  /    Internet: daniel@pkmab.se
  Fridstav. 4		  /  /     UUCP: ...{uunet,mcvax}!sunic.sunet.se!

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (08/29/89)

In article <1647@pkmab.se> daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
>In article <16147@watdragon.waterloo.edu>
> kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) writes:
>>
>>Well, the nice thing about the Amiga is that you can easily add things like
>>extra memory, faster CPUS, floating point coprocessors, and large monochrome
>>(1000x800) monitors.
>
>And that shouldn't be possible on the ST?
>Extra memory? Why not buy it at once, as with the 1040ST (1Mb) or the Mega ST?
>(2 or 4 Mb)

    How expandable is the ST?  4 megs max, I thought.  The amiga can go to 9
with no special modifications.

>Faster CPUs exists to, there was some articles posted about this for a
>month ago I think.

    The only CPU accelerators I've seen for the ST are 16 MHz 68000's.
The amiga's got '020s and 030'S running at up to 28 MHz.

>Aeeghh... I'm sick'n'tired of this 'argumenting'.
   Nah, I kind of like it.  People send me hate mail & make me feel
important.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | ---------------    Don Lloyd  El Campeador   don@vax1.acs.udel.edu          |
| |Gibberish is |    DISCLAIMER:               don@pyr1.acs.udel.edu          |

mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu (Michael Baffoni) (08/29/89)

In article <1647@pkmab.se> daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
>In article <16147@watdragon.waterloo.edu>
> kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) writes:

   		  [rebuttals and stuff deleted]

>Floating point coprocessors isn't a problem either. Large screens is very
>avaiable to. (for the A3 in 1:1 or something like that, with a resolution
        What is this?  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>of 1024*768 or even more, I don't know exactly. They are to expensive for
>me.. :-)
>
>Aeeghh... I'm sick'n'tired of this 'argumenting'.
>
>--
>  Daniel Deimert	   /  /    Internet: daniel@pkmab.se
>  Fridstav. 4		  /  /     UUCP: ...{uunet,mcvax}!sunic.sunet.se!
>  S-715 94  Odensbacken  /  /            kullmar!pkmab!daniel
>  SWEDEN		/  /	   Phone: +46-19-52037, +46-19-111441 (BBS)

    Are you talking about the Moniterm (which can only be hooked up to a
MegaST)?  <sigh>  Or is this some other type of moniter?  What is that 1:1
refer to?

    Inquiring minds wanna know!

Me?  Getta .Sig? you gotta           l     mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu
be kidding. I don't need             l or  mbaffoni@castor.usc.edu
no stinking .Sig...                  l or  baffoni@aludra.usc.edu
Sabre fencers NEVER play with wimpy blades...

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (09/01/89)

In article <19535@usc.edu> mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu (Michael Baffoni) writes:
>In article <1647@pkmab.se> daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
>>Floating point coprocessors isn't a problem either. Large screens is very
>>avaiable to. (for the A3 in 1:1 or something like that, with a resolution
>        What is this?  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A3 is a standard paper format in Europe. I do not have the exact measurements
in my head, I'm afraid. We begin with a large 'A0' paper, split that
paper in two equally sized smaller (!) papers, gets a 'A1' and so on.
Normal writing paper is A4.

>    Are you talking about the Moniterm (which can only be hooked up to a
>MegaST)?  <sigh>  Or is this some other type of moniter?  What is that 1:1
>refer to?

The name is of no importance, I think it was "Viking" or something like
that. Yes, it can only be hooked up on a Mega ST (without hardware
modifications. Atari hasn't included a processor bus on the smaller models
of some stupid reason [like price?]) That isn't really a problem since
they cost around 20,000 SEK (1 USD = cirka 6 SEK). If you really want
to work proffessionally with DTP you'll buy a Mega ST and Calamus. That's
a lot cheaper than a Mac or [phhf...] PC anyway.

>    Inquiring minds wanna know!

Mind? And owns an AMIGA? :-) :-)

mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell - QA) (09/03/89)

In article <1647@pkmab.se> daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
>In article <16147@watdragon.waterloo.edu>
> kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) writes:
>>
>>Well, the nice thing about the Amiga is that you can easily add things like
>>extra memory, faster CPUS, floating point coprocessors, and large monochrome
>>(1000x800) monitors.
>
>And that shouldn't be possible on the ST?
>Extra memory? Why not buy it at once, as with the 1040ST (1Mb) or the Mega ST?
>(2 or 4 Mb)

That's all? My Amiga is up at 7MEGs!

>Faster CPUs exists to, there was some articles posted about this for a
>month ago I think.
>Floating point coprocessors isn't a problem either. Large screens is very
>avaiable to. (for the A3 in 1:1 or something like that, with a resolution
>of 1024*768 or even more, I don't know exactly. They are to expensive for
>me.. :-)

And can you have 32-bit memory as well? Can you make the machine choose
the 32-bit ram for allocation FIRST? Also, can you make the co-processor
transparent, so that properly-written software can use it if there, and
not die if not?

>Aeeghh... I'm sick'n'tired of this 'argumenting'.

So why did you bother to reply?

>--
>  Daniel Deimert	   /  /    Internet: daniel@pkmab.se
>  Fridstav. 4		  /  /     UUCP: ...{uunet,mcvax}!sunic.sunet.se!
>  S-715 94  Odensbacken  /  /            kullmar!pkmab!daniel
>  SWEDEN		/  /	   Phone: +46-19-52037, +46-19-111441 (BBS)

Have a nice day! :-)
--

                                   |*******************************************|
	-Compliments of	       /// |* All thoughts and comments are soley     *|

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/04/89)

mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell - QA) writes:

| ... can you make the co-processor
| transparent, so that properly-written software can use it if there, and
| not die if not?

  Yes.
  The SFP-004 coprocessor interface card can be used transparently
by software which uses the libraries which Atari made available to
developers.  Third party compilers are also supporting the coprocessor,
including Laser and Turbo C.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine