[comp.sys.atari.st] HELLLLLLLLP with Kermit

jlf@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Jack L Forester) (08/31/89)

I need help with file transfer using kermit on Uniterm.
I am trying to download a file from my UNIX account to my ST.  Kermit is the
only file transfer protocol we have (I believe)  I am a C.S. major and up
until 15 minutes ago, I thought there was nothing I couldn't figure out in
relation to computers.

The specific problem is that after the first few packets are sent, Check
errors prevent the rest of the transfer.  The specific version of Uniterm
is 1.7B

Any help or guidance anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Reply by mail to jlf@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

dbsuther@PacBell.COM (Daniel B. Suthers) (09/05/89)

In article <427@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jlf@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Jack L Forester) writes:
>I need help with file transfer using kermit on Uniterm.
>I am trying to download a file from my UNIX account to my ST.  Kermit is the
>only file transfer protocol we have (I believe)
[TEXT DELETED]
>The specific problem is that after the first few packets are sent, Check
>errors prevent the rest of the transfer.  The specific version of Uniterm
>is 1.7B

Kermit is a woderful little utility, but you must understand that it has
several modes, and both ends __MUST__ use the same options.

If the file is text, most defaults work fine.  If the file is binary (arc,
executables, object code etc) you must use the option 'i' to indicate
that the transfer is a complete "image".

On most unix systems you will find the default is text transfer.  Here's what
it takes to transfer from my Unix box to my ST.

On the Unix Box:
$ kermit -i -s greatprg.arc <return>

On the ST:
kermit -ri <return>

Hope this helps.

Dan Suthers,  Analyst, Pacific Bell
uucp: {backbone}!pacbell!pbeos!dbsuther
Youth's a difficult time, and it gets harder the longer you try to draw it out.