[comp.sys.atari.st] Flash/Shadow and QuickST

bill@meadow.UUCP (Bill Foster) (07/24/89)

>  when I try to use Flash/Shadow with
> QuickST I have all sorts of problems.  No bombs (but I didn't
> leave QuickST active long enough to know for sure...) but
> QuickST does do a nice job of messing up the VT100/ANSI
> screen commands.  Enough to make the combinationccompletely
> unusable.
> This information is based on an older version of QQuickST. I
> haven't tried the newest version, but one of the authors,

QuickST 1.5 has fixed almost all of the vt52 terminal emulation
descrepencies, except for that of setting colors (doesn't recognize
the codes, prints garbage)  This renders it unusable for me.

                  BFOSTER = GEnie,  WHTB33B = Prodigy
    {~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}
    {~}     <> Bill Foster <>         |          /|\               {~}
    {~}                             |                              {~}
    {~}            /|\            |        Vegetarians 4-ever      {~}
    {~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}
             {amdahl,hplabs,decwrl}!pacbell!cpro!meadow!bill

jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) (07/27/89)

In article <8907191852.AA11379@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> TK0GRM1@NIU.BITNET (Gordon Meyer) writes:
>Jeff Long has reported a problem of unexplained bobmbs when
>using Flash 1.6, Shadow 1.1, TurboST, and QuickST.   I don't
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I finally sent off for my update to Turbo-ST V1.6 and have had NO
MORE PROBLEMS!!   Turbo-ST V1.6 works fine with everything I haves tried so
far and really does make a noticeable difference.  I use Turbo ST with
Neo-Desk 2.0 and love it!    Also, Turbo-ST really speeds up scrolling
through  a document using WordPerfect!!   A file that used to take
1min58 secs from top to bottom using the arrow keys now takes 1min05
seconds!!   I heartily endorse Turbo-ST V1.6   (no I don't work for
them:-))

|   Jeff Long              jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil  (ARPA net)      |
|   humble (and getting humbler by the day) graduate student;           |
|   The Air Force Institute of Technology  (what a great way of life??) |

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (07/31/89)

In article <123@meadow.UUCP> bill@meadow.UUCP (Bill Foster) writes:
>QuickST 1.5 has fixed almost all of the vt52 terminal emulation
>descrepencies, except for that of setting colors (doesn't recognize
>the codes, prints garbage)  This renders it unusable for me.
>

>                  BFOSTER = GEnie,  WHTB33B = Prodigy

nope, quickst 1.46 does indeed set colors properly. foreground, background,
inverse video, all these work correctly and do not print garbage. this was
tested under flash and stwriter, since both these programs use valid vt52
codes for setting of colours.

also, 1.5 is the registered owner's version of 1.46, and is even less buggy
than version 1.46. unregistered owners (like you) should not have this version.

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!

bill@meadow.UUCP (Bill Foster) (08/02/89)

> nope, quickst 1.46 does indeed set colors properly. foreground, background,
> inverse video, all these work correctly and do not print garbage. this was
> tested under flash and stwriter, since both these programs use valid vt52
> codes for setting of colours.
>
> also, 1.5 is the registered owner's version of 1.46, and is even less buggy
> than version 1.46. unregistered owners (like you) should not have this version.
>

> =====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====

The version I downloaded was labeled quikst15.arc and the bbs file description
showed it as 1.5   I just looked at the file and it is indeed version 1.4,
This is the truth.

                  BFOSTER = GEnie,  WHTB33B = Prodigy
    {~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}
    {~}     <> Bill Foster <>         |          /|\               {~}
    {~}                             |                              {~}
    {~}            /|\            |        Vegetarians 4-ever      {~}
    {~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}
             {amdahl,hplabs,decwrl}!pacbell!cpro!meadow!bill

jg@hpldola.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) (08/05/89)

I have been writing a GEM windowing application and I wondered if quickst
would speed up my application.  I downloaded versions 1.2 (Accessory) and
1.46 (auto prg).  I was really impressed with the speed-up that both
versions achieved!  Unfortunately, I also witnessed a little strange
behavior during redraws as follows:

SYSTEM: ATARI 1040STF with ROM TOS 1.0
ACTION: resize (shrink) window on top of another window

Normal Gem (or quickst v1.2 ACC with GEM speedup turned OFF):
	No problems, bottom window redrawn properly.

Quickst v1.2 ACC with GEM speedup turned ON:
	The bottom window is properly redrawn, except in the case where
	the bottom window's information bar is uncovered before and
	after the resize.  In this case the bottom line of the
	information bar is deleted in the area under which the
	second window used to be.

Quickst v1.46 Auto Prg:
	The bottom window is not properly redrawn.  Parts of the
	window are not redrawn, usually near the edge of the second
	window.  This also happens when moving a small top window over
	a larger bottom window: parts of the bottom window are not
	properly redrawn, near the edges of the top window.

(sorry for posting this report, but my attempts to mail to
Ig were unsuccessful, thank you for an overall great program!)

-Joe Gilray

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (08/10/89)

In article <11830047@hpldola.HP.COM> jg@hpldola.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) writes:

>Quickst v1.2 ACC with GEM speedup turned ON:
>	The bottom window is properly redrawn, except in the case where
>	the bottom window's information bar is uncovered before and
>	after the resize.  In this case the bottom line of the
>	information bar is deleted in the area under which the
>	second window used to be.
>
>Quickst v1.46 Auto Prg:
>	The bottom window is not properly redrawn.  Parts of the
>	window are not redrawn, usually near the edge of the second
>	window.  This also happens when moving a small top window over
>	a larger bottom window: parts of the bottom window are not
>	properly redrawn, near the edges of the top window.

there were many such problems in version 1.2 of Quick ST, so i won't bother
justifying them here. as for version 1.46, there is a known bug in that
version which affects the clipping of letters and lines, which causes the
improperly drawn window contents when the text/lines have to be clipped.
this bug crept in version 1.46 when darek and i tried to speed up our clipping
algorithm, and these problems should be all but gone in the latest version
we are currently developeing.

the new version will be put through a LOT of beta testing before its released
to the public, to avoid such embarassing incidents as improperly clipped
characters. we will try to have this version out sometime in early Sept.
development work for Quick ST will become a little more difficult since,
now that our school term is over, both of us are going back to our work term
jobs, myself at Electrohome and Darek at Microsoft (in Seattle), which will
make the synchronization of debugging effors a little more difficult, thus
developemnt will slow down a bit.

but hey, keep dem bug reports coming in. the reports and support we have
received thus far has been great, and i myself enjoy seeing just how far
this venture can go.

anyways, enough for now.

--

TK0GRM1@NIU.BITNET (Gordon Meyer) (08/16/89)

Jeff Long has reported a problem of unexplained bobmbs when
using Flash 1.6, Shadow 1.1, TurboST, and QuickST.   I don't
have TurboST, but when I try to use Flash/Shadow with
QuickST I have all sorts of problems.  No bombs (but I didn't
leave QuickST active long enough to know for sure...) but
QuickST does do a nice job of messing up the VT100/ANSI
screen commands.  Enough to make the combinationccompletely
unusable.
This information is based on an older version of QQuickST. I
haven't tried the newest version, but one of the authors,
Darek, indicated to me on GEnie that he didn't have a way
of testing for VT100 compatiblity so it would not likely get
fixed.
-=->G<-=-

jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) (08/26/89)

In article <8907191852.AA11379@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> TK0GRM1@NIU.BITNET (Gordon Meyer) writes:
>Jeff Long has reported a problem of unexplained bobmbs when
>using Flash 1.6, Shadow 1.1, TurboST, and QuickST.   I don't
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

After I updated to Version 1.6 of Turbo-ST, I've NO compatibility problems
with any combination of software!   I recommend v1.6 of Turbo-ST to all!!

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (09/05/89)

In article <1312@blackbird.afit.af.mil> jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:

>After I updated to Version 1.6 of Turbo-ST, I've NO compatibility problems
>with any combination of software!   I recommend v1.6 of Turbo-ST to all!!

Me too!  I bought Turbo ST from a software store locally and when I booted
it up on my 1040 I saw it was version 1.4.  Knowing that version 1.6 had
just come out, I called SofTrek and was surprised (and glad)
to learn that they are offering a free upgrade policy to anyone who purchased
Turbo ST between July 1 and October 1, 1989.  The next day I sent out the
disk and about a week later (!) I received an updated disk in the mail!

Turbo ST 1.6 FLIES!!!!  Version 1.4 was fast, but my eyes nearly popped out
of my skull when I saw GEM windows pop up on the desktop at lightspeed!!

 Albert Yarusso               | ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet
 Rochester Institute of Tech. | {rutgers, ames}!rochester!ritcv!ajy2208
 Computer Science             | ajy2208@ritcv.cs.rit.edu