[comp.sys.atari.st] Compiling Nethack3.0

SQ79@liverpool.ac.UK (Mark Powell) (09/04/89)

   Anyone had any joy compiling nethack3.0 under TOS, and I don't mean with
that ridiculously large GCC thingy (I just wish I had 2.5 Megs really!!)
I'm going to try with MWC and sozobon (if I ever get the thing to work.)
Can anyone comment on their suitablity?
   And... If Eric Smith is out there... what did you compile 2.3e on???

Mark Powell

ARPAnet : sq79%liv.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
USENET  : ...!mcvax!ukc!liv.ac.uk!sq79

7103_300@uwovax.uwo.ca (09/05/89)

In article <8909040950.AA06992@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, SQ79@liverpool.ac.UK (Mark Powell) writes:
>    Anyone had any joy compiling nethack3.0 under TOS, and I don't mean with
> that ridiculously large GCC thingy (I just wish I had 2.5 Megs really!!)
> I'm going to try with MWC and sozobon (if I ever get the thing to work.)
> Can anyone comment on their suitablity?
>    And... If Eric Smith is out there... what did you compile 2.3e on???

The current version of Sozobon won't compile NetHack. MWC probably would,
but might need some tweaking. NetHack 3.0 patchlevel >= 1 will compile as
distributed under TOS, if you have the GCC and at least 2 megs.

I compiled nethack 2.3 with Laser, originally, and switched to the GCC
later. Laser was a real pain to work with, and I found a lot of bugs
both in the compiler and library (they may have fixed them in the latest
version of Laser, but frankly the GCC is a better compiler and a lot
cheaper!). All of this was done on a Mega 2.

The next patch for NetHack is coming out this week, and I'll be
mailing the TOS binaries to the moderator of comp.binaries.atari.st
at that time.
--
Eric R. Smith				ersmith@uwovax.uwo.ca
Dept. of Mathematics			ersmith@uwovax.bitnet