[comp.sys.atari.st] Flopfmt = HDfmt???

sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/05/89)

I am writing a program to format hard drives using extended formats.
My developers kit says the XBIOS function 10 (flopfmt) works for floppies.
Does it work for hard drives too?  I assume all I have to do is change
the device to 2 for drive C, 3 for D, etc, right?

Please respond by email to sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu if you know the answer.

alderaan@tubopal.UUCP (Thomas Cervera) (09/06/89)

In article <111500028@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I am writing a program to format hard drives using extended formats.
>My developers kit says the XBIOS function 10 (flopfmt) works for floppies.
>Does it work for hard drives too?  I assume all I have to do is change
>the device to 2 for drive C, 3 for D, etc, right?

  This Xbios call works for floppies only. To format your HD you'll have
to use the utilities coming with your hard drive.

--
Thomas Cervera         | UUCP:   alderaan@tubopal.UUCP
SysMan RKOpdp (RSTS/E) |         ...!unido!tub!opal!alderaan (Europe)

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (09/06/89)

In article <111500028@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> I am writing a program to format hard drives using extended formats.
> My developers kit says the XBIOS function 10 (flopfmt) works for floppies.
> Does it work for hard drives too?  I assume all I have to do is change
> the device to 2 for drive C, 3 for D, etc, right?

NO, floppy format requires setting up tracks and talking to the WD controller
chip.  It is done for you in XBIOS.

HD format is a high level SCSI operation and is done by the user application
program.  Generally two messages are required on the SCSI bus: set up parms,
and format disk. Then just sit back and wait for it to happen.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com