[comp.sys.atari.st] PACK vs DC SQUISH

george_seto@brains.UUCP (George Seto) (09/04/89)

Re: PACK vs DC SQUISH:

   Mark O'Bryan

  I have tried both the PACK and the DC Squish(borrowed) on my STadel
software and PACK would not work on those files at all. Squish worked and on
4 files, saved me about 45K worth of space, giving me around 110K free space
on my boot disk, which previously had about 60K free. So there is a place for
both. Double-Click will probably find some money heading its' way from me
shortly. I also did discover that you are right in that PACK seems to save
more space on the disk than DC Squish. I tried it on Dcopy316.prg

  DC Squish took that 25K (just under) executable and brought it down to just
under 23K. Then I tried the PACK on the ORIGINAL 25K executable and brought
it down to just under 21K. Both worked fine. Oh yes, the LHARC files have a
Shell available and that utility saves a WHOLE lot of space.
  I wonder if there is any chance the Dcopy people will be able to get the
Dcopy utility to handle the new LHARC files as well? That would give us the
best of the worlds. Right now, Dcopy still doesn't handle some of the newer
ARC compression routines. I still see "unknown" in some of the ARC files I
get, which must have been compressed with ARC521b.....

--
   -===------===-    From George Seto at Cerebral Cortex BBS System
  -==-==----==-==-   (902)462-7245 3/12/2400 8N1 24h/7d

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (09/06/89)

In article <4756@brains.UUCP> george_seto%brains@iisat.UUCP writes:
>Re: PACK vs DC SQUISH:
>
>   Mark O'Bryan
>
>  I have tried both the PACK and the DC Squish(borrowed) on my STadel

Amazing how fast software gets around...

>software and PACK would not work on those files at all. Squish worked and on
>4 files, saved me about 45K worth of space, giving me around 110K free space
>on my boot disk, which previously had about 60K free. So there is a place for
>both. Double-Click will probably find some money heading its' way from me
>shortly. I also did discover that you are right in that PACK seems to save
>more space on the disk than DC Squish. I tried it on Dcopy316.prg
>
>  DC Squish took that 25K (just under) executable and brought it down to just
>under 23K. Then I tried the PACK on the ORIGINAL 25K executable and brought
>it down to just under 21K. Both worked fine. Oh yes, the LHARC files have a
>Shell available and that utility saves a WHOLE lot of space.

DC SQUISH has already been improved!  We are now able to squish much better
now, at the same speed as before.  Sometimes even better than Dcopy can do,
and certainly a lot closer to Dcopy in most cases we tried.

>  I wonder if there is any chance the Dcopy people will be able to get the
>Dcopy utility to handle the new LHARC files as well? That would give us the
>best of the worlds. Right now, Dcopy still doesn't handle some of the newer
>ARC compression routines. I still see "unknown" in some of the ARC files I
>get, which must have been compressed with ARC521b.....

LHARC in Dcopy...  That might be possible, I'll see what Larry says.  I know
for certain that we (Double Click Software) already have it implemented in
100% assembly (thanks to Paul Lee) and we are running it thru its paces.

Did you perchance also 'borrow' DC Xtract?  That will be transforming into
bigger and better things, and you might see LZH in that.

In any case, you will certainly be seeing some other quality utilities that
you will come to know and love from Double Click Software.

BTW - if you care to order our DC Utilities, you can prepay $30 and just
      mail it to us at:

      DC UTILITIES
      Double Click Software
      P.O. Box 741206
      Houston, TX.  77274-1206

You also get a special surprise gift!

>--
>   -===------===-    From George Seto at Cerebral Cortex BBS System
>  -==-==----==-==-   (902)462-7245 3/12/2400 8N1 24h/7d
> -==-------==------  george_seto%brains@iisat.UUCP
>  -==-==----==-==-   {uunet, utai, watmath}!dalcs!iisat!brains!george_seto
>   -===------===-

Where are you at anyway?

- mike vederman

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Support BBS: (713)944-0108 | SHADOW | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (09/07/89)

In article <852@uhnix2.uh.edu> uace0@uhnix2.UUCP writes:
>In article <4756@brains.UUCP> george_seto%brains@iisat.UUCP writes:
>>Re: PACK vs DC SQUISH:
>>
>>   Mark O'Bryan
>>
>>  I have tried both the PACK and the DC Squish(borrowed) on my STadel
>
>Amazing how fast software gets around...

 Mike,
    Has George done something to make you doubt he IS borrowing the software
 or do you just like innuendo?  I don't know George personally but, I just
 thought I would ask.

[Various comments about said product deleted hereafter]

>Did you perchance also 'borrow' DC Xtract?  That will be transforming into
                        ^^^^^^^^

 Oh Mike, you are the subtle one.

>BTW - if you care to order our DC Utilities, you can prepay $30 and just
          ^^^

 Another dart sent George's way?

>      mail it to us at:
>
>      DC UTILITIES
>      Double Click Software
>      P.O. Box 741206
>      Houston, TX.  77274-1206

       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No beating around the bush here, eh?

>You also get a special surprise gift!

Those who post libelous statements get special surprise gifts too!!!

>>--
>>   -===------===-    From George Seto at Cerebral Cortex BBS System
>>  -==-==----==-==-   (902)462-7245 3/12/2400 8N1 24h/7d
>> -==-------==------  george_seto%brains@iisat.UUCP
>>  -==-==----==-==-   {uunet, utai, watmath}!dalcs!iisat!brains!george_seto
>>   -===------===-
>
>Where are you at anyway?
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 Don't tell 'em George; they'll come and get ya'.

>- mike vederman
>
>--
>Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
>Support BBS: (713)944-0108 | SHADOW | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
		   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 No doubt the above are supporters of usenet but wait ... uhnix2.uh.edu doesn't
 look like an address for Double Click?!?

 Mike, you put George in a bad light and, guilty or innocent, if he responds
 OR remains silent the damage is already done.

 How about this;  let's keep the commercials and slanderous remarks off the
 net and other equipment we don't own, eh?

 Bill Hodges                    |  Me?  People who speak for the Air Force get
 bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil  |  paid a lot more than I do! I just work here.

silvert@.uucp (Bill Silvert) (09/07/89)

In article <1333@blackbird.afit.af.mil> bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Billy R. Hodges) writes:
>In article <852@uhnix2.uh.edu> uace0@uhnix2.UUCP writes:
>>In article <4756@brains.UUCP> george_seto%brains@iisat.UUCP writes:
>>>
>>>  I have tried both the PACK and the DC Squish(borrowed) on my STadel
>>
>>Amazing how fast software gets around...
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and more about whether George Seto got slandered or whether he was wrong
to borrow software to test.  I'll stick up for George -- he is very
honest about software and is down on piracy.

As for borrowing, I wold trust George with commercial software and feel
that to do so is legitimate.  He has served as a user group officer and
has frequently reported on software, he has done comparisons and
presented them to the group.  He also works part-time at a computer
store.  He has done a lot for the ST community, and I think that
everyone here would be prepared to stick up for him (not many of us are
on UseNet though).

I think that snarky comments like Mike's are unwarranted.  It is a
pretty good bet that anyone who is a pirate will not report the fact to
this newsgroup.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (09/07/89)

In article <1333@blackbird.afit.af.mil> bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Billy R. Hodges) writes:
>In article <852@uhnix2.uh.edu> uace0@uhnix2.UUCP writes:
>>In article <4756@brains.UUCP> george_seto%brains@iisat.UUCP writes:
>>>Re: PACK vs DC SQUISH:
>>>
>>>   Mark O'Bryan
>>>
>>>  I have tried both the PACK and the DC Squish(borrowed) on my STadel
>>
>>Amazing how fast software gets around...
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Mike,
>    Has George done something to make you doubt he IS borrowing the software
> or do you just like innuendo?  I don't know George personally but, I just
> thought I would ask.

I don't know George either, and I was struck two ways about the above post.

1) George is doing us a favor by making a favorable comparison.
2) We (DCS) are all students trying to make this work, and are hurt by the
   possibility that 'borrowed' is not.

I have never known to be subtle, that is part of my short-comings, many of
which make me human.  I apologize.

>>BTW - if you care to order our DC Utilities, you can prepay $30 and just
>          ^^^
>
> Another dart sent George's way?

Actually that was purely unintentional.  I am used to writing documentation
and we always write it aimed that you are reading it.

>>You also get a special surprise gift!
>>

>Those who post libelous statements get special surprise gifts too!!!

I doubt you could prove anything I said was slanderous or libelous, since I
purely spoke from the context of his statements.

We do indeed include a special surprise gift in each order.

Listen, we are not a big corporation, with big money-wads backing us up.
Instead, we are all *students* that have reinvested *all* of our shareware
contributions back into Double Click Software to make the company grow and
stand on its own 'two (actually 8 :-) feet.'  We have spent long hard hours
hoping that our 'dream' could become a reality.

When we see posts which allude to doing us harm, we get upset.  I'm sure if we
stuck as a shareware only company that people would be happier, but we can't
see doing that for everything.  We have attempted to give people a package
that is high in quality and user usable programs.  Because we know that not
everyone is rich, but everyone could benefit by our products.  That is part
of our 'philosophy.'  After all we are students, and part of the reason we
wrote what we did is because we can't afford what is out there, so we wrote it.

>>>--
>>>   -===------===-    From George Seto at Cerebral Cortex BBS System
>>>  -==-==----==-==-   (902)462-7245 3/12/2400 8N1 24h/7d
>>> -==-------==------  george_seto%brains@iisat.UUCP
>>>  -==-==----==-==-   {uunet, utai, watmath}!dalcs!iisat!brains!george_seto
>>>   -===------===-
>>
>>Where are you at anyway?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Don't tell 'em George; they'll come and get ya'.

We are not going to 'get' anyone.
We have a list of *every* person that has purchased DC Utilities, since it has
only been released at the Dallas WOA show (pending our receiving the manuals
it will be in distribution), so, in another subtle attempt, I was trying to
discern whether he did 'borrow' it, or perhaps found it in some other way than
thru a legitimate owner.  If it is thru someone who we have listed, then we
> Bill Hodges                    |  Me?  People who speak for the Air Force get
> bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil  |  paid a lot more than I do! I just work here.

- mike vederman (the subtle one)

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Support BBS: (713)944-0108 | SHADOW | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (09/08/89)

I would like to see LHARC with the ability to extract ZOO, LZH, and ZIP
files (well, OK LZH is fine). Also, the ability to auto-delete the  original
archived file upon demand, and to auto-create folders to de-ARC into. Something
of an UNARCIT in DA form.

Just a few ideas.

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (09/08/89)

What is irritating me is that if you add a new version of a file to LHARChive
the original file isn't removed and you get to files with the same name !!!
To make a freshen on a LZH-file you have to do a delete first, then add !

  Lars-Erik   /   ABK-BBS +47 2132659   /   ____ ______
   Osterud   /   larserio@ifi.uio.no   /   /___    /