[comp.sys.atari.st] OS UPGRADES

dbsuther@PacBell.COM (Daniel B. Suthers) (09/10/89)

In article <3553@blake.acs.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>A bit tough to ask of a "company"
>who can't even PROVIDE an updated OS for
>a machine that has already existed for 4 years.

I have heard this said many time, and don't quite believe it.  My 1985 520
was shipped without ROMS; I installed them myself the first week they shipped.

I was really perplexed when some programs ,including MTC-SHELL, LATTICE C and
others, worked great for anyone but me!!!  The answer that I got was that I
seem to have a very early ROM set.  The Megas have another, and now 1.4 is
available.  I've also heard that there are more than a few motherboard versions
available.

Now it would have been nice if Atari had sent notices informing me that there
were upgrades I couldn't afford, or that there was improved noise rejection
in the newer models, but it wouldn't have changed my machine one bit.

I would have loved access to the new ROMS for the last few years, but the
free patches involved $0, and let me save my money for the other "upgrades"
as they became avilable for my software library.

*** ANYONE FROM ATARI WISH TO POST A QUICK LIST OF THE MOTHERBOARD/ROM ***
*** VERSIONS THAT ARE FLOATING AROUND?  JUST TO SHOW THAT PROGESS IS MADE? ***
Dan Suthers,  Analyst, Pacific Bell
uucp: {backbone}!pacbell!pbeos!dbsuther
Youth's a difficult time, and it gets harder the longer you try to draw it out.