[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari TT and ...

tomas@m2cs.uu.no (Tomas Felner) (08/31/89)

In the anouncements in German magazines for the Duesseldorf fair everybody
mentioned "Atari TT and ...". Nobody was allowed to reveal what "..."
actually was, but it was said that it is worth going to the fair only to
see "...". Can anybody from Germany tell us what the secret was (or
maybe still is :-) ) ??

Tomas
--
                          Tomas Felner
     Modula-2 CASE Systems AS  |  Internet: tomas@m2cs.uu.no

roeder@sbsvax.UUCP (Edgar Roeder) (09/01/89)

In article <228@m2cs.uu.no>, tomas@m2cs.uu.no (Tomas Felner) writes:
> In the anouncements in German magazines for the Duesseldorf fair everybody
> mentioned "Atari TT and ...". Nobody was allowed to reveal what "..."
> actually was, but it was said that it is worth going to the fair only to
> see "...". Can anybody from Germany tell us what the secret was (or
> maybe still is :-) ) ??

It's a new version of the good old 1040 ST called 1040 ST E.
It has a newer and faster TOS version (if i remember correctly they say it's
TOS 1.6 - don't ask me about 1.5).
- Disks formatted with this version are compatible to MS-DOS.
- You have 16 Colors out of 4096,
- stereo sound,
- two new controller-ports on the left side where you can plug in light guns
  or paddles (you can also get 4 additional joystick ports with adapters).

The machine looks like an ordinary 1040 ST.

> Tomas
> --

- Edgar

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (09/02/89)

The ... *probably* refers to the machine being called the 'STE' or 'ST-E'
in the computer press (though Atari may need to change that name,
apparently, as Popular Computing Weekly says that 'STE' is also the name
of an 8-bit bus standard).  The 'STE' is an 'enhanced' ST -- primarily
in supporting added video modes (including a 4096-colour palette mode)
and in having builtin stereo sound.  In other words, sounds like it is
intended totally as an Amiga-basher.  In most other respects it is just
like the current ST's.  Atari Germany say that the base STE will be a
1 Meg machine.  Atari UK are saying the base STE will be 1/2 Meg.
Have to wait and see.  It is packaged in a single-unit case like the
520's and 1040's, rather than separate boxes like the Megas.  Other
details are still a bit thin, but maybe someone can expend on this.

--
 Paul Smee               |    JANET: Smee@uk.ac.bristol
 Computer Centre         |   BITNET: Smee%uk.ac.bristol@ukacrl.bitnet

tomas@m2cs.uu.no (Tomas Felner) (09/02/89)

roeder@sbsvax.UUCP (Edgar Roeder) writes:
>It's a new version of the good old 1040 ST called 1040 ST E.
>It has a newer and faster TOS version (if i remember correctly they say it's
>TOS 1.6 - don't ask me about 1.5).

TOS 1.6 ??? 1.4 is not even officialy out yet and people start talking
about 1.6 ? Does anybody know details ? Can I use it in a normal ST/Mega ?
Any comments from Atari ? Ken ?

Tomas
--
                          Tomas Felner
     Modula-2 CASE Systems AS  |  Internet: tomas@m2cs.uu.no
            Maridalsveien 139  |  Phone: +47 2 379784
        N-0461 Oslo 4, Norway  |  FAX: +47 2 356448

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (09/04/89)

tomas@m2cs.uu.no (Tomas Felner) writes:

>see "...". Can anybody from Germany tell us what the secret was (or
>maybe still is :-) ) ??

>Tomas

The '...' was the Atari 1040 STE, an extended 1040ST with improved graphics,
improved sound, improved TOS and so on, and so forth

I don't have the specs handy at the moment. Maybe somebodey else could supply
those.

In my opinion the STE is intended as a games-machine. Why? Because it can be
extended to have up to 6 Joystick ports.

Hope this helps

Martin
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1.BITNET (09/12/89)

In Info-Atari16 Digest #444, mcsun!sunic!ifi!m2cs.uu.no!tomas@uunet.uu.net
(Tomas Felner) asks:

>roeder@sbsvax.UUCP (Edgar Roeder) writes:
>>It's a new version of the good old 1040 ST called 1040 ST E.
>>It has a newer and faster TOS version (if i remember correctly they say it's
>>TOS 1.6 - don't ask me about 1.5).
>
>TOS 1.6 ??? 1.4 is not even officialy out yet and people start talking
>about 1.6 ? Does anybody know details ? Can I use it in a normal ST/Mega ?
>Any comments from Atari ? Ken ?

No, you can't use TOS 1.6 in your ST/Mega. The ST/Megas have sockets for 192
KB ROM, whereas TOS 1.6 is 256 KB (actually, only about 220 KB are used).

TOS 1.6 contains support for the additional features of the ST/E, such as the
increased graphics resolution, sound output etc.  Also, the !@#$%& line F traps
are finally removed.  Sorry that I can't say more but I haven't taken a closer
look at it yet.

BTW: There will not be a TOS 1.5 since ATARI increases the minor TOS version
number by 2 in each new release.

Bitnet:  VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1 (will go away late '89)      Volker A. Brandt
          UNM409@DBNRHRZ1 (soon)                       Angewandte Mathematik
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNUAMA1.bitnet!vbrandt             (Bonn, West Germany)
ARPAnet: VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU