[comp.sys.atari.st] 1040ST Memory Upgrades

rfpfeifle@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ron Pfeifle) (12/01/88)

Hi.  I was musing about putting more memory into my ST, and I was wondering
if there were people out there who'd done this, and how you'd fared.

It would be nice to know, for example, where you bought your chips, how
much they cost, the trials and tribulations of installation, how long
it took, how close you came to trashing your ST, and any comments and caveats
you can think of.

Thanks!
Ron Pfeifle

steveg@SPARTA.COM (Steve Goldstein) (03/28/89)

As far as I know, you have to go from 1MB to 2.5MB all in one shot.
The way I understand it, is the MMU (memory management unit) in the ST
has main memory organized into two banks, each which can be configured
to use different size chips.  The 1040's have two banks of 256k chips,
each bank has 16 chips (16 bits or 2 bytes per word).
16*256K*1bit = 512K BYTES per bank.
When you upgrade, you are reconfiguring one bank of memory to use 1MBit parts,
thus the upgraded bank has 16*1024K*1bit = 2048K BYTES or 2MB, plus the
1/2 meg in the other bank = 2.5 megs.  Note that this process leaves you with
16 256k x 1 chips, which you may or may not be able to sell (maybe to a 520
owner looking to upgrade to 1 meg...).

The next step of course is to replace the other bank of 256k chips, with
1Mbit parts for a total of 4meg.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, the current MMU cannot handle 4Mbit chips,
so the possibility of a 16 meg ST is out...

Disclaimer (since they seem to be so popular):
     The above information is correct to the best of my knowledge,
     however I cannot be responsible for anything resulting from the use
     of this information.  I will admit that any errors above are my own,
     and would appreciate corrections if there is a need for them.

                    -- Steve Goldstein <steveg@saic.com>

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (07/22/89)

Hello!

  I will be buying a 1040ST soon, and I was wondering what kind of memory
upgrades are available for it.  I have heard of various 2.5meg and 4meg
upgrades, but specific information escapes me at this time..

  Thanks for any help!
 Albert Yarusso               | ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet
 Rochester Institute of Tech. | {rutgers, ames}!rochester!ritcv!ajy2208
 Computer Science             | ajy2208@ritcv.cs.rit.edu

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (07/28/89)

In article <1233@cs.rit.edu> ajy2208%ucss@cs.rit.edu (Albert Yarusso) writes:
>Hello!
>
>  I will be buying a 1040ST soon, and I was wondering what kind of memory
>upgrades are available for it.  I have heard of various 2.5meg and 4meg
>upgrades, but specific information escapes me at this time..
>
>  Thanks for any help!
> Albert Yarusso               | ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet
> Rochester Institute of Tech. | {rutgers, ames}!rochester!ritcv!ajy2208
> Computer Science             | ajy2208@ritcv.cs.rit.edu

I really don't suggest you get a memory upgrade for the 1040st.  The
power supply inside the computer is kinda "whimpy", and you might
run into problems with it.  If you DO upgrade, I DON'T suggest 4 megs.
Your supply MIGHT be able to handle 2.5 megs, but I would be VERY
hesitant about straining my machine with 4 megs.

Of course, you could rig a PC power supply to the ST, and that would
solve your problems.....

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Kodak ColorEdge: The worlds FASTEST color copier!   | 3) Coke Classic

pyr545@psc90.UUCP (Andrew C. Stoffel) (08/12/89)

In article <1089@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>In article <1233@cs.rit.edu> ajy2208%ucss@cs.rit.edu (Albert Yarusso) writes:
>>Hello!
>>
>>  I will be buying a 1040ST soon, and I was wondering what kind of memory
[question about upgrading a 1040ST]
Well, I have a 1040ST and find I'm getting cramped in 1meg. Try
getting something with a little more memory !!
>>  Thanks for any help!

>I really don't suggest you get a memory upgrade for the 1040st.  The
[very general reason why not]
Could you be more specific ??
>Of course, you could rig a PC power supply to the ST, and that would
HOW !!!!! I've thought about it but what kind and where would it go ??

WHile I'm here ---> Has anybody tried to shove a 1040STf into a tower
style case ?? They usually come with a pretty hefty power supply....
Before I spend any money I'd like to know.
							ANdy :-)

--
|                                   | UUCP {uunet!unhd,dartvax}!psc90!pyr545|
| "The Snark WAS a Boojum, you see!"| #include      <std.disclaimer>        |

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (08/13/89)

>>I really don't suggest you get a memory upgrade for the 1040st.
>[very general reason why not]
>Could you be more specific ??

Sure I can.  The power supply in the 1040ST was only meant to supply
power for 1 meg of chips.  Of course, there is a little extra output in
the supply (a safety margin of sorts).  But since nothing is perfect,
and we live in a non-perfect world, not every power supply in every 1040
has the same output.  Some have more, some have less, some have the
intended output.  Ergo, a memory upgrade MAY OR MAY NOT strain your
power supply.  If Atari had given us a LARGE safety margin, then
probably every 1040 could be upgraded.  From what I know of the 1040,
a 2.5 meg upgrade should be ok.  However, your power supply may not be
able to handle a 4 meg upgrade.  This is why I discourage upgrading the
1040 to more RAM.  You just don't know if it will work or not.

This leads into the next question......

>>Of course, you could rig a PC power supply to the ST.......
>HOW !!!!! I've thought about it but what kind and where would it go ??

The Atari 520ST requires the following voltages:

+5V, +5V, +12V, -12V, and two grounds.

A standard PC power supply offers:

+12V, -12V, -5V, +5V, +5V, +5V, and four grounds.

Since the PC supply offers the needed inputs, you can hook one up to the
ST.  I do NOT know the requirements for the 1040, 520STFM, and Mega, but
I would assume they are the same.  However, the built-in power supply is
probably hard-wired, not having the connector I have on my 520 (external
power supply).

The HUGE advantage of the PC supply is the increased power it supplies.
My 520 power supply offers something like 15W, where a PC supply can be
as high as 250W or so.  This allows you to hook up your disk drives,
hard disks, and even your monitor (you plug it into the monitor port on
the PC supply using an adapter).  Theoretically, you could have
EVERYTHING on one power supply.

>WHile I'm here ---> Has anybody tried to shove a 1040STf into a tower
>style case ?? They usually come with a pretty hefty power supply....
>Before I spend any money I'd like to know.
>							ANdy :-)

I don't believe it possible.  The design of a tower case doesn't give
you enough room to put in a motherboard.  The disk drives would be in
the way.

lharris@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Leonard Harris) (08/27/89)

In article <1143@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>>>I really don't suggest you get a memory upgrade for the 1040st.
>>[very general reason why not]
>>Could you be more specific ??
>
>Sure I can.  The power supply in the 1040ST was only meant to supply
>power for 1 meg of chips.  Of course, there is a little extra output in
>the supply (a safety margin of sorts).  But since nothing is perfect,
>and we live in a non-perfect world, not every power supply in every 1040
>has the same output.  Some have more, some have less, some have the
>intended output.  Ergo, a memory upgrade MAY OR MAY NOT strain your
>power supply.  If Atari had given us a LARGE safety margin, then
>probably every 1040 could be upgraded.  From what I know of the 1040,
>a 2.5 meg upgrade should be ok.  However, your power supply may not be
>able to handle a 4 meg upgrade.  This is why I discourage upgrading the
>1040 to more RAM.  You just don't know if it will work or not.

... lots deleted about PC power supplies ....

I really get annoyed when people who know very little, give very authoratative
advice on the net.
First - I am writing this on a 4 meg, 16 mhz atari 520ST. - it works!

Now about memory upgrades using too much power - the power supply puts
out roughly 3 Amps.  Thats quite a bit.
256K rams use about 350mW per chip when active and 20mW per chip
when in standby (not accessed by RAS or CAS) these are NMOS devices and
therefore use a lot of power.
1 megabyte rams use between 70 and 120 mW when active and 10uW when deselected.
1 meg rams are variations of CMOS and use relatively little power.

Thus: 1 megabyte of 256K ram = 32 chips x 350mW = 11.2 W of power (if all chips
were active at the same time which could never happen).  If the typical case
where 1 chip was selected and the others in standby the power would be
1x350mW + 31x20mW = 970mW.

4 megabytes of 1 meg rams = 32 chips x 100mw = 3.2 W.  the real world power
would be 1x100mw + 31x10uW = 100.31 mW.

So, upgrading your atari to 4 megabyte of ram will actually save 9 times as
much power form you power supply.
Sorry to post this but this was the third message from this guy on the same
subject and it started to get on my nerves.
/leonard

calengr@cory.Berkeley.EDU (California Engineer Magazine) (08/27/89)

In article <1989Aug26.195511.16016@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> lharris@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Leonard Harris) writes:
>... lots deleted about PC power supplies ....
>

>I really get annoyed when people who know very little, give very authoratative
>advice on the net.
>First - I am writing this on a 4 meg, 16 mhz atari 520ST. - it works!
                                       ^^^^^^
Okay, I give up.
How do you upgrade a 520ST to 16MHz?

I program on 25 MHz 386 machines, and frankly, I'm sick
and tired of my 520ST with a single 360 kb drive.  I've
finally upgraded it to 1 meg which has helped some, but
it's a real hassle to run and compile serious programs.

BTW, if anyone knows how to stick a DS/DD drive mechanism
into a SF354, please let me know.

Thanks

Michael

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) (08/30/89)

   You couldn't fit an ST motherboard into a PC tower case because there
would be no rooms for the drives?  What kind of drives do you have?  I
didn't know there were drivers available for 300Meg removable drives 8-)

--
  "Life is just a popularity contest, and I didn't get my entry in on time."
                                                 -David L. Newton

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (08/31/89)

In article <508@carroll1.UUCP> dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) writes:

>   You couldn't fit an ST motherboard into a PC tower case because there
>would be no rooms for the drives?  What kind of drives do you have?  I
>didn't know there were drivers available for 300Meg removable drives 8-)

Well, I checked out the tower cases on my last "recasing binge".  Even
went to a local business computer show just to look inside of one.
The way they are designed, the motherboard sits on its side-edge on the
bottom of the case.  I can't remember where the power supply sits, but
the drives are at the top.  I don't think there is enough vertical room
for both the motherboard and what I consider a "good" set of drives (2
3.5 inchers with a drive B switchable with a 5.25 inch drive, and at
least one HD).

Of course, if you would like to buy me a case so I could experiment
with it, I'll send you my address.   :^)

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Call the ACORN BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud     | 3) Coke Classic

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) (09/10/89)

In article <1194@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>In article <508@carroll1.UUCP> dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) writes:
>>   You couldn't fit an ST motherboard into a PC tower case because there
>Well, I checked out the tower cases on my last "recasing binge".  Even
>the drives are at the top.  I don't think there is enough vertical room
>for both the motherboard and what I consider a "good" set of drives (2
>3.5 inchers with a drive B switchable with a 5.25 inch drive, and at
>least one HD).

   The power supply is at the bottom.
   An ST m.board is not much bigger (if any) than an IBM m.board.  My
ex-roomate has a tower case w/ 2 3.5", 2 5.25", and 2 hard drives and
seems to get away with it.

   Just out of curiosity, (because I want one too) do you already have an
external kerboard in mind?

>Of course, if you would like to buy me a case so I could experiment
>with it, I'll send you my address.   :^)

   If i could.  If onlly I could.  I hate college sometimes.

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (09/12/89)

In article <558@carroll1.UUCP> dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) writes:
>   The power supply is at the bottom.
>   An ST m.board is not much bigger (if any) than an IBM m.board.  My
>ex-roomate has a tower case w/ 2 3.5", 2 5.25", and 2 hard drives and
>seems to get away with it.
>
>   Just out of curiosity, (because I want one too) do you already have an
>external kerboard in mind?

I have built an external keyboard, but have since put it back in my 520.
The case I used was a major hack of a Nexos (British) keyboard housing.
It was OK, but not what I really wanted.  Besides, I will need a good
motherboard housing before I use an external keyboard.

I have wondered if you can use a MEGA keyboard housing.  From what I
have heard, it IS possible, but only if you can find the damn things.
I'll have to call BEST ELECTRONICS one of these days.

As for a housing, I would probably build one instead of hacking a PC
case.  It's just a matter of doing it I guess.  I know what kind of
basic design I want.  It would be more or less an "under-the-monitor"
case, rectangular, with joystick ports in front, as well as the power
and reset switches.  Just a plain steel box.

>>Of course, if you would like to buy me a case so I could experiment
>>with it, I'll send you my address.   :^)
>
>   If i could.  If onlly I could.  I hate college sometimes.

I hate it too, so don't feel all alone.   :^)