[comp.sys.atari.st] QuickST/TurboST/Blitter

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (09/11/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.621382869.larserio@kyrre.uio.no> larserio@ifi.uio.no (LarsErikOsterud) writes:
>I agree !!!
>Quick-ST gives a BIOS text increase of 500%
>The only thing the blitter gives is a GEM draw increase og about 5%
>(yes, I've tried it myself !!)

Version 1.6 of Turbo ST speeds up BIOS text by 1400% (!)..

A friend of mine has a Mega ST and there are only a few instances where
we've the blitter has been useful, but not useful enough to obtain
if you don't have a Mega ST.  For example, in Degas Elite moving blocks
and drawing with blocks is tremendously faster with the blitter on.
Also, we've noticed speed increases in some demos (but not many).

>  Lars-Erik   /   ABK-BBS +47 2132659   /   ____ ______
>   Osterud   /   larserio@ifi.uio.no   /   /___    /
>____________/  _______________________/   ____/   /

 Albert Yarusso               | ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet
 Rochester Institute of Tech. | {rutgers, ames}!rochester!ritcv!ajy2208
 Computer Science             | ajy2208@ritcv.cs.rit.edu

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (09/13/89)

Yes, I know that Turbo-ST is faster, BUT does it support font-switching ?
The old one did not.  If the new one checks the line-a variables and don't
kill the vt52 emulation I'll buy one at once.  Just give me an adress !!!

  Lars-Erik   /   ABK-BBS +47 2132659   /   ____ ______
   Osterud   /   larserio@ifi.uio.no   /   /___    /