[comp.sys.atari.st] A little detective work...

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (08/24/89)

Hello everyone,

    I thought that I would share an experience which I think would be of
benefit.  Tonight, for several hours, I helped to troubleshoot a constantly
crashing ST system which was running the new Double Click software,
specifically, a new and great program called Squish.
    The STer attended the WOA show at Dallas and bought the disk expecting
much.  Instead he experienced problems.  This bothered me because I've been
singing the praises of DoubleClick lately, especially on the local BBSes.
Squish is one of the most incredible programs that I have encountered and
am so appreciative of the extra disk space that it has given me on my hard
drive.
    Ok, the problem....  Squished files were causing strange text arrangements
on Flash.  Also, TopDown no longer was giving dependable results, resulting
in frequent cold booting >>>>TOWARD THE END OF THE BOOTUP SEQUENCE<<<<.  Also,
TopDown no longer would work in float mode.
    Sheesh, what a mess!
    I looked at his system and as far as I could tell, everything appeared
to be in order.  Desquishing files sometimes helped matters (strange VT 52
display, cold boots, etc.) and other times it wouldn't--even on the same
files.  Deactivating files in the /AUTO/ folder *sometimes* helped matters,
*sometimes* not.  Good grief.
    Let's see, and this net has been talking about MMU's lately, right?
    Ok, isolation time...  One /AUTO/ squished file after another was
activated.  Again, the same problem.  Erratic bombs, craters, and hair
pulling.  Ok, are your accessories squished?  Yes, he replies.
    Oh, Lordy...
    Funny thing is, all of mine are too and I have no problem!!!  In fact,
*EVERYTHING* in my system is SQUISHED and I have had no problems at all!!!
    Ok, here we go.  Isolate each accessory.  Activate them one per bootup.
And there it is....  the WordPerfect Accessory.  It and it alone is the
culprit.  Yeah, but I also use WordPerfect!!!  Why don't I have the
problem?????  Yep, the system acts real odd with the WordPErfect accessory
and Topdown and Squished files.
    But again, my system didn't have any problems.
    Finally, the matter was solved.  I decided that we would pull all the
accessories and install them in from scratch, thus changing their order of
execution (??????????).  Well, guess what?  That solved his problem.  All
possible files are now squished, TopDown works perfectly, and there are
no more VT 52 funny things going on.
    It just goes to show that breathing fire and flames at a company
before adequately trouble shooting can result in denial of the potential
that that company has to offer.  Now I don't know anything about accessory
execution or whatever, but, at any rate, the problem is solved.
    Double Click needs to be complimented and congratulated for a well-
thought utility as Squish.  If any problems occur, please check the rest
of the system out.  As more and more /AUTO/ aids are made available and
with the frequency of new free/share/ware accessories and with the hit
and miss of execution orders, it amazes me how all of this seems to
work.  Moral of the story?  Don't condemn before you do some detective
work.
    By the way, I don't work for or distribute DoubleClick software, but
am just a very happy and satisfied customer of their products!

Larry Rymal in East Texas <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

davidli@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Dave Meile) (08/24/89)

In article <890824.01342113.020170@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
>Moral of the story?  Don't condemn before you do some detective
>work.

The whole problem with this line of reasoning is that the average computer
user should not _have_ to troubleshoot his system for a period of several
hours (which is what you did) in order for a utility to run successfully on
the computer.  This is _especially_ true if the utility is not PD/Shareware
in nature.

While the example program you used (Squish, from Double Click), may work
wonders in disk compression, I personally wouldn't purchase it if there is
any likelihood that I'd have to spend several hours figuring out why my
system was bombing out, displaying weird characters, etc.

Much of the PD/Shareware software I take a look at gets tossed out for that
reason -- my time is more valuable as compared to the "possible" resource
savings for a given utility.

-- Dave Meile

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (08/25/89)

In article <890824.01342113.020170@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
)Hello everyone,
)
)    I thought that I would share an experience which I think would be of
)benefit.  Tonight, for several hours, I helped to troubleshoot [ ... ]

)    Let's see, and this net has been talking about MMU's lately, right?

)    Ok, here we go.  Isolate each accessory.

Was this by booting again and again?

)    Finally, the matter was solved.  I decided that we would pull all the
)accessories and install them in from scratch, thus changing their order of
)execution (??????????).  Well, guess what?  That solved his problem.

)If any problems occur, please check the rest
)of the system out.  As more and more /AUTO/ aids are made available and
)with the frequency of new free/share/ware accessories and with the hit
)and miss of execution orders, it amazes me how all of this seems to
)work.  Moral of the story?  Don't condemn before you do some detective
)work.

Wasn't I just reading about how multi-tasking is unecessary, and even if
it were necessary, it isn't useful unless there is an MMU?

I don't think the problem here was lack of MMU, but the presence (and proliferation)
of "desk accessory" psuedo-tasks.

Multitasking is perhaps a little nicer than some might think.

I assume that the ST desk accessory world is still much better off than
the Mac's, at least.

	jimm

    "Always run Sidekick as the last TSR."
			- my favorite multitasking quote

--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"... the signs are very ominous,
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          and a chill wind blows."

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (08/26/89)

Dave Meile writes in response to "a little detective work":

| The whole problem with this line of reasoning is that the average computer
| user should not _have_ to troubleshoot his system for a period of several
| hours (which is what you did) in order for a utility to run successfully on
| the computer.  This is _especially_ true if the utility is not PD/Shareware
| in nature.
|
| Much of the PD/Shareware software I take a look at gets tossed out for that
| reason -- my time is more valuable as compared to the "possible" resource
| savings for a given utility.

To which I say - "Amen!"

I've had problems with the ordering of "AUTO" programs before and still
do from time to time. What a hassle. Just ordered Codehead Utilities to at
least speed the process with its auto sorting utililty. Just downloaded
PINHEAD by Codehead to speed up the loading of all these TSR's. Got me
to thinking:

                      >>>Does this make sense?<<<

Why does one have to run all these TSR's to fix operating system bugs, make
things run at the speed they should, patch program incompatibilities, and
get the overall usability where it should be?

Look at this list of TSR's I use:

SUPRBOOT - to manage the boot of the TSR's and ACC's
FOLDRXXX - OS bug patch
FATSPEED - OS bug patch
G+PLUS   - a legitimate TSR, but Atari GDOS should have been good enough
UIS      - psuedo-legitimate, wouldn't need it if Atari had done the job right
SHEL_FIX - patch to fix program parameter-passing incompatibilties
DCACHE   - legitimate, a true option
HEADSTRT - gotta have this to autoboot NEODESK, which TOS should do, to
           replace the bare-bones TOS desktop
MOUSESPD - don't have 16 feet of mousepad, why wasn't this part of the
           control panel?
CLIP     - supports some "standard" that only Interlink uses
PINHEAD  - speeds up loading this mess

(And I'm not even getting into the pile of accessories that I have, and the
Multidesk program that I bought to manage that mess, that won't run 50% of
the accessories I use).

When I look at the time spent determining that I need these programs, the
time and money spent getting them, the time spent configuring them, and the
BIG chunk of memory they consume, well, it kind of ticks me off. To be blunt,
it's a shameful situation.

My point is, this is all great sport for us techies, but it's no fun for
your average home/business user trying to DO SOMETHING besides play junior
hacker.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are those solely
of the author, who has no pecuniary interest in the companies mentioned.

Copyright (c) 1989 by Andrew Cassino.  All rights reserved.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

hafer@tubsibr.uucp (Udo Hafermann) (08/26/89)

Does anyone know what "standard" the CLIP clipboard utility uses?
Is any documentation available?  The AES clipboard services define
virtually nothing.

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (08/28/89)

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:
[ List of TSR's used by Mr. Cassino deleted ]

| My point is, this is all great sport for us techies, but it's no fun for
| your average home/business user trying to DO SOMETHING besides play junior
| hacker.

Which is precisely why we fixed the majority of the problems you
mention in Rainbow TOS (a.k.a. TOS 1.4).  When you get it, you'll
be able to toss almost all of those TSR's you're using.

Available now at a dealer near you.  And if it isn't, please WRITE A LETTER
to Atari Corp. asking why Rainbow TOS isn't available at your dealer.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) (08/29/89)

In article <1660@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:

>Available now at a dealer near you.  And if it isn't, please WRITE A LETTER
>to Atari Corp. asking why Rainbow TOS isn't available at your dealer.
>--
>   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

Then why have the 3 dealers I talked to laughed at me when I
asked about its availability. Also what is the price? When will
megas come equipped with it (so I don't have to pay extra $$)?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Final question - Is this a real, backed by Atari, announcement?

Brian
<#include disclaimer>

powers@cim1ni.dec.com (Bill Powers) (08/29/89)

In article <1660@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:

> Available now at a dealer near you.  And if it isn't, please WRITE A LETTER
> to Atari Corp. asking why Rainbow TOS isn't available at your dealer.
> --
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>

    Not at my dealer in New Hampshire, he laughed, and said that he won't
have any more direct dealings with atari till they stop sending him bills
every month for stuff, that he never bought from them.

     As for a letter, I wouldn't waste my time, it is quite apparent and
my opinion that atari management really doesn't care.

Bill Powers

----
These opinions are my own, not of my employer.

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (08/30/89)

In article <4381@shlump.nac.dec.com>, powers@cim1ni.dec.com (Bill Powers) writes:
> In article <1660@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
> >
> > Available now at a dealer near you.  And if it isn't, please WRITE A LETTER
> > to Atari Corp. asking why Rainbow TOS isn't available at your dealer.
> > --
> >    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
> >    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
> >   / | \  #include <disclaimer>
>
>     Not at my dealer in New Hampshire, he laughed, and said that he won't
> have any more direct dealings with atari till they stop sending him bills
> every month for stuff, that he never bought from them.

I spoke to Gail Johnson (software development coordinator at Atari) after
seeing Ken's note.  Mask programmed roms are not presently offered to
developers (PROMS are still offered on the same terms as before).  Atari
can not presently fill an order for a Mega 2 containing TOS 1.4 ROMs.  On
the other hand, I think it's a fair conclusion from Ken's posting that at
least sample quantities of production TOS 1.4 ROMs have been delivered to
Atari.  That is encouraging, but it makes me impatient.
   On a related subject: a German friend who isn't on usenet tells me that
the Atari people at Duesseldorf were very clear in asserting that they
intend to have everything available to the public within 3 months of its
official first showing.  That would mean Portfolio and Stacy are a little
overdue, and they mean to be selling ST-Es and TTs before Christmas.  The
people he talked to sounded about as serious as possible about that 3
months after introduction stuff.  He also says he wants one of the portable
game machines.
                                        Steve J.

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (08/31/89)

in article <1970@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) says:

in article <4381@shlump.nac.dec.com>, powers@cim1ni.dec.com (Bill Powers) says:

> In article <1660@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>>
>> Available now at a dealer near you.  And if it isn't, please WRITE A LETTER
>> to Atari Corp. asking why Rainbow TOS isn't available at your dealer.
>> --
>>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>
>
>     Not at my dealer in New Hampshire, he laughed, and said that he won't
> have any more direct dealings with atari till they stop sending him bills
> every month for stuff, that he never bought from them.
>
>      As for a letter, I wouldn't waste my time, it is quite apparent and
> my opinion that atari management really doesn't care.
>
> Bill Powers
>
> ----
> These opinions are my own, not of my employer.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. If you have a problem with Atari
or a suggestion, you should feel free to write to Sam Tramiel. He reads
everything that he receives. And contrary to what you said, he is truly
interested in your comments.

-- John Townsend					ames!atari!towns
   Atari Corporation

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (08/31/89)

In article <1660@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:

>Which is precisely why we fixed the majority of the problems you
>mention in Rainbow TOS (a.k.a. TOS 1.4).  When you get it, you'll
>be able to toss almost all of those TSR's you're using.
>
>Available now at a dealer near you.  And if it isn't, please WRITE A LETTER
>to Atari Corp. asking why Rainbow TOS isn't available at your dealer.
>--
>   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

Well, if Atari got off it's toosh and came up to the North East and
SIGNED UP SOME DEALERS, we might have somewheres to get 1.4, not to
mention other trivial things like computer, and monitors, and the such.

No flame at you specifically, but I just thought it was a funny paradox.
Going to places that don't exist for things that haven't been released
yet.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Call the ACORN BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud     | 3) Coke Classic

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/01/89)

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:

| In article <1660@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
| >
| >Available now at a dealer near you.  And if it isn't, please WRITE A LETTER
| >to Atari Corp. asking why Rainbow TOS isn't available at your dealer.

| Well, if Atari got off it's toosh and came up to the North East and
| SIGNED UP SOME DEALERS, we might have somewheres to get 1.4, not to
| mention other trivial things like computer, and monitors, and the such.

| No flame at you specifically, but I just thought it was a funny paradox.
| Going to places that don't exist for things that haven't been released
| yet.

  I apologise for any problems my precipitous comments may have caused.
My intent was to get people _going_ to their dealers to ask about the
Rainbow TOS upgrade, so that their dealers would start ordering them
from Atari.  I want to get this upgrade out there!!!  So much so, that
I may have jumped the chain of command a bit too far on this one.

  The fact remains that Rainbow TOS ROMs should be available to dealers
NOW.  Sam Tramiel said on the GEnie live conference last night that
they were.  He also said that we will be announcing a method later in
the week whereby people who don't have dealers nearby can get the upgrade.
I don't know the details of that, it hasn't been worked out in detail yet,
but as soon as details are available, we'll let you know.

  Another thing you should be aware of: if you're reading this, you're
closer to the source than a lot of dealers are.  Many dealers don't get
online or read the nets, so they don't find out about things like this
until a dealer newsletter makes it to them, or they find out from their
Atari rep, or whatever, and that can take time. If you go to your
dealer and they give you blank stares, or (gasp) laugh at you when you
ask for Rainbow TOS ROMs, kindly inform them that they should call
Atari, because the details of the upgrade haven't made it to them yet.
I suspect a lot of people will be wanting this upgrade, and the dealers
will be grateful to you for the tip.

  Again, I'm sorry for any confusion or problems my comment may have
caused.  I hope you all get Rainbow TOS in your ST's soon!

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (09/01/89)

At an Atari users' group meeting tonight, I spoke with an employee of a
company which does NOT do beta testing for Atari, but which is considered
one of their key developer-customers.  He has production TOS 1.4 ROMs.
Definitely NOT PROMs (that's what he used to have).  Unfortunately, he
damaged his (2 socket) Mega while modifying it to accept the 6 chips, so
he hasn't had a real chance to give the ROMs a workout.
                                       Steve J.

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (09/01/89)

From article <1660@atari.UUCP>, by kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher):

> Which is precisely why we fixed the majority of the problems you
> mention in Rainbow TOS (a.k.a. TOS 1.4).  When you get it, you'll
> be able to toss almost all of those TSR's you're using.
>
> Available now at a dealer near you.  And if it isn't, please WRITE A LETTER
> to Atari Corp. asking why Rainbow TOS isn't available at your dealer.

Well, I just phoned my dealer, who certainly doesn't have it.  I
wonder if the general availability of Rainbow TOS applies to Atari's
overseas dependancies?  I'll hassle Atari UK anyhow - they probably
deserve it.

I think this question's already been answered, but I didn't see a
direct answer: will the new TOS be available to be fitted into all the
different ST motherboards?  I bought my home-use machine back in March
1986 when the first ROMs had just arrived in the UK.  Do I and others
like me have anything to worry about?

Graham

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

lincoln@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (charles.e.lincoln) (09/02/89)

>   I apologise for any problems my precipitous comments may have caused.
> My intent was to get people _going_ to their dealers to ask about the
> Rainbow TOS upgrade, so that their dealers would start ordering them
> from Atari.  I want to get this upgrade out there!!!  So much so, that
> I may have jumped the chain of command a bit too far on this one.
. . .
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>

Glad to hear TOS 1.4 if finally on its way to dealers (I just called
my local dealer and, as Ken predicted, he hadn't heard anything).

How much will it cost?

Chuck Lincoln
att!ihlpy!lincoln

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/04/89)

| Will the ROMs be able to fit in all production motherboards?

  Yes.  The Rainbow TOS ROM upgrade will go in any ST manufactured
by Atari.  Some STs may require sockets to be added, and some will
require slight modifications (moving jumpers and such) which can be
easily handled by your dealers.

| How much will it cost?

  Suggested RETAIL price for the ROMs is $100.  Dealers will probably
charge a bit more for installation.

--

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) (09/05/89)

In article <1674@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>  ...The Rainbow TOS ROM upgrade...

   I obviously missed something--what is this Rainbow TOS?

--
  "Life is just a popularity contest, and I didn't get my entry in on time."
                                                 -David L. Newton

BUGGS@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (09/05/89)

>   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>  Suggested RETAIL price for the ROMs is $100.  Dealers will probably
>charge a bit more for installation.

Being a simple user, I wonder if it's worth it?

Ed June
FoReM ST node 386
Fido node 1:133/403

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (09/06/89)

In article <21894@cup.portal.com> BUGGS@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) writes:

>Being a simple user, I wonder if it's worth it?
>
>Ed June

You bet it's worth it!  I've seen TOS 1.4 in action, and there are SO
many nice things in it, and SO many things fixed in it.  I can't see how
anybody would NOT want it!

For example:  Now you can rename folders, you have a MOVE command, disk
reads and writes are faster, windows open up in the RIGHT places, and
you have the keyboard controlled warm/cold resets.

These are just the things that are OBVIOUS!  The stuff you cannot see
that are fixed are NUMEROUS!  No more 40 file folder limit, or 16 meg
partitions, a rewritten GEMDOS, etc.

However, I think $100 is a bit too much.  If Atari wants to get 1.4 out
to people IN MASS, the price of upgrade should be lower.  Also, there
should be a special user-group deal, so a number of them can be
purchased at a reduced cost, with a "qualified" user group member
installing the ROMS.  Hey, the user groups are what have kept Atari
going in the past, so why not reward them with 1.4 at a low price?

Of course, I'm a member of a user's group.........   :^)

aking@BBN.COM (Allen King) (09/07/89)

In article clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>You bet it's worth it!  I've seen TOS 1.4 in action, and there are SO
>many nice things in it, and SO many things fixed in it.  I can't see how
>anybody would NOT want it!

	Agreed whole heartedly, but where is the documentation?

>For example:  Now you can rename folders, you have a MOVE command, disk
                                                      ^^^^
>reads and writes are faster, windows open up in the RIGHT places, and
>you have the keyboard controlled warm/cold resets.

   1. How do you move files using 1.4? I've read the few pages of
"notes" but never came across it.

   2. How do you set Drive B to 3MS step rate? I've heard there is a new
call, but with no documentation, ...

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (09/07/89)

In article <8909062057.AA24180@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> aking@BBN.COM (Allen King) writes:
...[edited]

>   1. How do you move files using 1.4? I've read the few pages of
>"notes" but never came across it.

From "TOS 1.4 Release Notes: August 17, 1988" -
(Part of the developer's documentation. Since 1.4 is now being sold,
it seems reasonable to make the instructions accessable. These items
relate to the move function.)

7. A file can be "moved" as well as copied. If the source and destination
are on the same device or partition, the file is moved by renaming it via
GEMDOS. Otherwise, the file is copied and the original file deleted. To use:
select the files, hold down <Control>, and drag the files to the destination.
A "Move File(s)" box appears.

8. Copy, Delete, and Move operations can be interrupted with <Undo>. Holding
down <Undo> will result in a dialog asking if the user wishes to abort.

10. Time/Date stamp is now preserved across Copies and Moves.

18. Upon a "name conflict during copy", the user has three choices.
COPY goes ahead and copies the file (overwriting the one on the
destination), SKIP does nothing with the particular file but continues
the copy operation, and QUIT aborts the entire copy opeartion.

23. When copying files and an error occurs, the arrow now becomes a
busy bee when Retry is clicked.

A great deal of the information in this document is quite technical in
nature, and would most likely be confusing to the non-developer (such
as the technical description of how a file move is accomplished in # 7
above). That, in my opinion, makes it unsatisfactory as a general
public release to accompany the 1.4 ROMs. I would hope that some form
of user oriented documentation is being shipped with the new ROMs.

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA

knieriem@uklirb.UUCP (Thomas Knieriemen AG v. Puttkamer) (09/07/89)

Hello Netlanders,
after I've seen some questions about the features of TOS 1.4, here they are...
(I don't know of any documentation of these)

On Desktop:

Moves folders and files inside a volume (by holding down the cntrl-key while
dragging one (or some) folder(s) and file(s) into a window)

Renames folders (via "Show Info", like files)

Has a autostart feature for one GEM-Application (via "Install Application")

Install Application works now correctly (You can reinstall applications)

Has a new formating utility

Has a new copy disk<->disk utility

Can warmstart via keyboard "CNRT ALT DEL" and
coldstart "CNRT ALT RIGHTSHIFT DEL"

Has exented file selector box (with button to choose another volume)

Up, down, left and right arrows in windows now autorepeat
(I think where are other features out where, but I can't recall)

"Under" Desktop

Much faster diskoperation (harddisk too), the build in cache
(documented by Atari first 1985 in the Hitchhikers Guide through the Bios)
works now, you can extend this cache with a tool named "cacheXXX.prg" to the
desired block size

Removed 40 Folder bug
(includes removed malloc bug)

BIOS-devicedrivers now work through pointers behind the system variables,
so you can easyly replace them

The Clipboard routines work (Didn't they do that before, but nowbody cares?)

... many other bugs fixed

Disclamer: I do not speak for Atari, I'm just a user

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (09/08/89)

In article <8909062057.AA24180@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> aking@BBN.COM (Allen King) writes:
>   1. How do you move files using 1.4? I've read the few pages of
>"notes" but never came across it.

Hold down <CONTROL> when dragging the file.
Beware of beta test versions: some will delete the originaleven after
unsucsessful copy...

>   2. How do you set Drive B to 3MS step rate? I've heard there is a new
>call, but with no documentation, ...

Dunno. But the old method still works: set the system variable at 0x440
to the (new) seek rate code and call the routine pointed to by the
vector at 0x46a. This will set both drives to the new seek rate.

Why is the routine called "hdv_init"? It (re-)initialises the floppies
(and does nothing to the harddisk).

3 ms is the default seek rate for both drives. 40 track drive will
probably need 6 od 12 ms.

rate codes are 0 to 3 giving 6, 12, 2 and 3 ms step time.

Setting both drives to 6 ms at power up (AUTO folder) does not harm
system performance: only seeks longer than 2 steps are slowed down a
little.

here is the program, I use in my AUTO folder: (Mark Williams assembler
format; vqh [very quick hack :-)])

/	module name seek6

	.shri

	.globl main_
main_:
	clr.l	-(sp)
	move.w	$0x20,-(sp)
	trap	$1
	addq.l	$6,a7
	move.l	d0,_save_ssp
	move.w	$0,0x440	/ 0 => 6 ms
	lea	0x46a,a0
	move.l	(a0),d0
	movea.l	d0,a0
	jsr	(a0)
	move.l	_save_ssp,-(sp)
	move.w	$0x20,-(sp)
	trap	$1
	addq.l	$6,a7
	.even
_save_ssp:
	.blkl	1

asseble with "cc seek6.s -VGEM" to use the small startup code; this does
not need the enviroment, arguments or the like :-)

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
Dennis had stepped up into the top seat whet its founder had died of a

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (09/10/89)

in article <8909062057.AA24180@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, aking@BBN.COM (Allen King) says:

> In article clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>>You bet it's worth it!  I've seen TOS 1.4 in action, and there are SO
>>many nice things in it, and SO many things fixed in it.  I can't see how
>>anybody would NOT want it!
>
> 	Agreed whole heartedly, but where is the documentation?

Are you a registered developer? Is so, then you can receive documentation
on TOS 1.4 from the Developer's Support Group.

-- John Townsend
   Atari Corporation

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (09/11/89)

In article <1674@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
> The Rainbow TOS ROM upgrade will go in any ST manufactured by Atari.

You suspect there may be ST clones in the pipeline?

>   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK            "spam spaM spAM sPAM SPAM, lovely SPAM"  !

javoskamp@watmath.waterloo.edu (Jeff Voskamp) (09/11/89)

In article <1686@atari.UUCP> towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:
>in article <8909062057.AA24180@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, aking@BBN.COM (Allen King) says:
>>
>> In article clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>>>You bet it's worth it!  I've seen TOS 1.4 in action, and there are SO
>>>many nice things in it, and SO many things fixed in it.  I can't see how
>>>anybody would NOT want it!
>>
>> 	Agreed whole heartedly, but where is the documentation?
>>

>Are you a registered developer? Is so, then you can receive documentation
>on TOS 1.4 from the Developer's Support Group.

But what about the thousands of us who would like to know what TOS
1.4 can do, but can't justify the $xxx.00 to become a registered
developer?  I take it that there will be some sort of document
accompanying the new ROM set telling users all the nifty things that
1.4 provides (at least those accessible from the desktop).  Would it
be possible to have the summary of said document (if it exists) posted?

Jeff Voskamp
--

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (09/14/89)

In article <3075@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk> neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) writes:
>In article <1674@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>> The Rainbow TOS ROM upgrade will go in any ST manufactured by Atari.
>You suspect there may be ST clones in the pipeline?

There are 2 "clones" availeble (made with original Atari chips) here: a
VME BUS CPU with 8 kByte cache/16 MHz CPU, full VME and ST compatibility
and a version on 3 Europacard boards (100 by 160 mm) in a standard rach
mount casette...

:-)

hase