[comp.sys.atari.st] Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #462

TW6PSANU@MIAMIU.BITNET (Todd Whitehead) (09/14/89)

re: Hard drive defragger
Michtron makes an excellent package called hard drive turbo kit.
I too had problems with dlII.  The first time I tried it, it said my
disk had errors on it.  I went ahead and tried it and it trashed th partition.
(I had a backup and reinstalled it with no problem, but I promplty
dragged the program to the trashcan.)
The next week I bought Hard Drive Turbo Kit, and checked my disk structure,
got NO errors and optimized my hard drive, all three partitions, in
less than half an hour (30 meg total, about 80% full).
The prgram also lets me do three different types of disk backups,
two of them are file-related and one of them is bit-image.
The package also came with M-Cache.
I highly recommend this program!
It WORKS!

Opinions are my own, as I don't work for anybody...not yet.

Todd Whitehead
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio

mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu (Michael Baffoni) (09/14/89)

In article <8909131714.AA16460@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> TW6PSANU@MIAMIU.BITNET (Todd Whitehead) writes:
>re: Hard drive defragger

                 [Stuff deleted]
>The next week I bought Hard Drive Turbo Kit, and checked my disk structure,
>got NO errors and optimized my hard drive, all three partitions, in
                   ^^^^^^^^^
  When you say it optimized your drive, did it do more than just replace files
into a contiguous structure on the disk?  Like did it check the performance of
the disk controller/computer limit to give it the best interleave on the disk?
Or is your disk interleaved at 1:1 so you don't have to worry about it? :)
The reason I ask is that I have used a program on IBMs called "IAU.COM"
("Interleave Adjustment Utility") that checks for the best interleave factor
for the computer setup that you are using...like it uses an iterleave of 4:1
for most XTs, while turbos and ATs usually use 3:1, etc...

    And if you have no Idea what I am talking about, does someone else out
there have any (constructive) comments on the subject...?

>Todd Whitehead
>Miami University
>Oxford, Ohio

Mike Baffoni
mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu    or mbaffoni@castor.usc.edu   or baffoni@aludra.usc.edu
         (but the "r" or "f" command is sooooo much easier....)

USC: a school where 85% of the students recieve financial aide...at $20,000 a
year, I can't imagine why.  And you'd think that with all those students that
they'd be able to get mine right...even just once....

My comments are mine.  If you hear them coming out of YOUR mouth, then I
suggest you get an excorcist.

bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (09/14/89)

In article <8909131714.AA16460@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, TW6PSANU@MIAMIU (Todd Whitehead) writes:
>Michtron makes an excellent package called hard drive turbo kit.
>I too had problems with dlII.  The first time I tried it, it said my

I too use the michTron HD turbo toolkit and can highly recommend it. One
note of caution: If you have partitions larger than 16M (like under tos 1.4)
it gets very confused. michTron is aware of the problem, so we will
probably see a fix.
--
bang:   {any internet host}!dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu