[comp.sys.atari.st] Packer vs. Squish

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (09/12/89)

    In keeping with the spirit of pushing the ST and its programs to
the limit or past the envelope as David Small says, evaluations of Packer 2.0
and Squish make for interesting comparisons.  Many netters have mailed me
their results and made equally negative and positive comments.  One user
even graciously sent a version of Packer that includes the file selector
box (which answered my objection to the interface).
    Conclusions (at least for now):

Packer 2.0
    1)   Output file names -- must be different than original or an abort
           occurs.
    2)   Error conditions -- will still allow SOMETHING to be written.  This
           creates time-consuming file maintenance for user as he deletes
           these unusable files.  These files are created during the
           abort condition.  Nasty...
    3)   Consistancy -- Not very consistant.  Will not allow the latest
           DCOPY shell and program to work together properly.
    4)   When Packer DOES work, it is marvelous....
    5)   Conclusion:  a program for hackers only.  Use it to push the envelope.
         It will not cause crashes on the programs that it successfully
         works with and will save significant space.

DCSquish
    1)   Output file names -- DCSquish automatically renames the original
           program name with a .xyz extender, allowing original name to be
           automatically installed on the squished file.  Note that the
           user has a choice during the process, if he so wishes to change
           anything.  In other words, he is not strapped to the process.
    2)   Error conditions -- hmmmm, nothing yet.
    3)   Consistancy -- Exceedingly consistant and predictable.
    4)   Conclusion:  though DCSquish does not shrink files quite as
         much as Packer, it does its job consistantly and predictably.

Overall conclusion for both products:

         Both Packer and DCSquish are excellent programs, one is designed
for the hacker-type who thinks nothing of spending hours to milk out an
extra K of remaining space.  The other program is more for the user who
needs something a bit more predictable, a bit more friendly, and a program
that will net in not only space savings but time savings in the installation.
         Packer requires a considerable amount of work during use due to
not all programs working with it.  If a user has several programs on a hard
drive, this could be a laborious affair.
         DCSquish is directly the opposite.  The user becomes like Opus
who can't resist the turnip twaddler.  He goes on a searching binge for
more programs to Squish.  Squish's process is that simple, that rewarding.
         Finally, just for reference's sake, not all Packed files result
in significant space savings.  Turbo ST results in the following, at least
on my ST, during this moon phase with George Bush as President:

    Squished        Crunched          Packed         Original

    26858           33531             41241          52587

         As a user, the STer really does have a choice.  Use whatever
program works for you.  As for me and my house, DCSquish is the one.  Now,
if only I could find some more files to Squish!

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (09/13/89)

Thanks for the kind words Larry!

DC Squish has been improved even further!  Including a better SQUISH!

But, I can't believe you forgot to mention that DC SQUISH also makes programs
load faster for TOS 1.0 and TOS 1.2 (and if the FAST option is set for TOS 1.4
also).  This reduction in load to execution time is not just by making the
files smaller, either.  DC SQUISH actually has the same effect (and thus
eliminates the need for) as the popular program PINHEAD!  But on a file by
file basis.  Crunch or Pack don't offer this, just reduced file size.

BTW - with the newest version of DC SQUISH (which Larry will be receiving
free-of-charge) approaches the compaction of Pack (and beats it some times)
while still being significantly faster!

- mike

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Support BBS: (713)944-0108 | SHADOW | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (09/13/89)

In article <861@uhnix2.uh.edu> uace0@uhnix2.UUCP writes:
>... DC SQUISH actually has the same effect (and thus
>eliminates the need for) as the popular program PINHEAD!

I have never heard of PINHEAD. Which effect does it have?

  Rainer Klute           ----    klute@trillian.irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB    |)|/    klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500        |\|\    ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50       ----    Tel.: +49 231 7554663

steve@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (09/14/89)

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) writes:
>In article <861@uhnix2.uh.edu> uace0@uhnix2.UUCP writes:
>>... DC SQUISH actually has the same effect (and thus
>>eliminates the need for) as the popular program PINHEAD!
>
>I have never heard of PINHEAD. Which effect does it have?
>
>  Rainer Klute           ----    klute@trillian.irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
PINHEAD is C.F. Johnson's (shareware) null-fill program. It's based on Leo's
NULLFILL (Leo is credited in the documentation). Johnson, who is best known
for GPlus+ and ARCSHELL, has added some user-interface features, such as the
ability to turn it off temporarily.
   UUCP: {rosevax,amdahl!bungia,chinet}orbit!stag!thelake!steve

ralph@nastassia.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (09/14/89)

In article <890912.10162418.032882@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
|           Both Packer and DCSquish are excellent programs, one is designed
|  for the hacker-type who thinks nothing of spending hours to milk out an
|  extra K of remaining space.
|           As a user, the STer really does have a choice.  Use whatever
|  program works for you.  As for me and my house, DCSquish is the one.
|
|  Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

To my mind, all we need now is a front-end to both, which tries both
and keeps the best. :-)  Really, why not just keep both programs
around?  As Larry said, they are both excellent programs!

Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try:
SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams.   --   King Crimson